Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey

Aggie87

I just recently picked up a used disc ("Slow Breath, Silent Mind") by the JFJO on a whim. Their name kept catching my eye more than anything else. When I noticed this particular release on Kufala, I decided to give it a try, based on my previous experience with Club d'Elf on the same label.

g19934bwo3n.jpg

This disc is alot of fun - these guys are creative and experimental, and yet probably could (or do?) fit into the jam band scene pretty well too.

Anybody else listen to these guys, or have any further recommendations?

• 3 months later...

bump...

Picked up the 1996 "Live in Tokyo" cd last week in Austin. This one is interesting, and includes the older lineup, not the current trio that I heard previously on Slow Breath, Silent Mind. The lineup here is trumpet, trombone, rhodes, guitar, bass, drums, & percussion. Funky, improvisational, and fun.

PS - This album wasn't recorded in Tokyo, but in Oklahoma... :D

liveintokyo_front.gif

Edited by Aggie87

• 3 months later...

I'm going to revive this - I just saw these guys on Live at the Knitting Factory on TV - ok, but hardly earth shaking, as amatter of fact, if you've watched them for 5 minutes you've seen pretty much everything that they can do - so I checked out the reviews on their web site and was astounded at how great they are (the reviews, I mean) - I am mystified - can anyone explain this?

I'd guess the reviews are more from the jam band crowd myself....I think they appeal to folks in that group who are interested in checking out "jazz", more than hard core jazz fans.

I have three trio cds of theirs, which I enjoy. I think they're creative within the framework of what they're doing, along the lines of MMW & Bad Plus. And they're pretty young guys I think, so might be interesting to see how they develop.