Dave Brubeck's "Jazz Goes to College"

Edward

For what it's worth, AMG lists this as a 5-star session. How does this date stack up against Brubeck's other albums from the same period? How is the sound quality of the CD? (I believe that the CD was released in 1989 as part of Columbia's Legacy program.)

Thanks!

I have noticed a number of Brubeck Columbia releases lately. I would like to know what board members think of Brubeck at Brandenberg Gate; Bravo Brubeck, Brubeck in Japan; Time Further Out; etc. etc.

I have Time Out, of course,and a couple of the Jazz at Oberlin, Jazz goes to College, on OJC but not that familiar with most of Brubek's Columbia stuff.

Maybe you can help both Edward and I out here!

Edited by Morganized

I think all the Columbia material is worth hearing actually; "Jazz Goes to College" sounds pretty decent for an early cd, and has great playing. Like "Red Hot and Cool" it is closer to the OJC style of quartet playing (to my estimation) than a number of the later Columbia releases.

The ones I love the most are "Time Further Out" which sounds great in the US cd, and a "Bossa Nova USA" (my parents had both these lps as I was growing up and I played them a lot) which is out in Japan but not the US on cd. . . .

Edited by jazzbo

I got this wonderful record (LP) from my dad and it's got my favourite cover as well, one that I haven't seen anywhere else.

It's a Philips Microgroove 33 1/2 (B 070 25 L) with a mint-green cover showing a drawing of a bassist, dressed in a graduation outfit, lugging his instrument toward a building which you can see in the distance (there are also three other band members in the distance, closer to the building. Jazz Goes to College, A Campus Concert / The Dave Brubeck Quartet / the titles ... are all done in hand lettering. If I read it correctly, the cover/drawing is by E.W.

The cover is not in mint shape, but I'm getting it framed this year (framing can be quite expensive if you want a decent one, so I'm saving ... I don't want one of those made-to-fit LP frames).

Even if I seem like a total idiot, I have no idea who made this cover (maybe it was even used for other LPs?), I haven't found it in any of my LP cover books (I have most that were available these past years), and I never once saw it on the Internet. But maybe I also just missed in in my many books? No idea.

Does anyone have an idea regarding the origin/artist of/for this cover?

P.S.: My dad played the LP so many times that it is pretty flayed