Benny Golson & Galapagos Big Band

mikeweil

bennygolson2.jpg

I attended the concert of Benny Golson with the Galapagos (:wacko:) Big Band tonight - the band had a clinic with him the day before to prepare for the concerts (one more at noon today), and though only 10% are professional musicians, they did a formidable job. They are a local big band existing for 30 years - the clinic was their anniversary gift, sort of. They played several of his well known pieces, of course, arranged by the master himself, Killer Joe, Blues March, I Remember Clifford, Along Came Betty, Whisper Not - the charts were difficult, some of them with individual parts for each of the 15 horns. The band played unamplified except for the guitar and bass, and the soloist's or vocalists microphone, which was a pleasant surprise - the old theater has great acoustics (see next post).

Mr. Golson's very personal sound on the tenor saxophone was worth the price of admission alone. After the concert Knut Rössler, the band's leader (who plays a very nice soprano sax - he was the best soloist of the evening besides the guest) told me that Golson had Rico make him # 7 (!!!) reeds - phew ....

What never fails to amaze me is how fresh and authentic all those r & b licks sound from one of these old masters - I've heard them before a thousand times, but the way he phrases them is familiar and surprising at the same time. This is greatness ... The band played a very original chart on Body And Soul, but Rössler couldn't remember who wrote it ...

My journalist friend who had written the interview and the portrait based on the suggestions posted here, took me backstage, but we couldn't talk very much, as three Japanese fans stormed into the dressing room taking digital photos ... :angry:

The interview I posted here.

Edited by mikeweil