Copying the audio from a DVD to my hard drive

Big Al

I'm trying to take the audio from my Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii DVD (thanks, AfricaBrass!!!), convert it to a WAV file for copying to a CD for listening to in my car. Got a couple of ideas:

1) Use a DVD encrypting software. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue how to work this. So far, I've managed to copy the entire DVD onto my hard drive, but have no idea how to extract just the audio from these files.

2) I suppose I could just hook up my DVD player to my computer via the microphone jack, and then just play the DVD on the player and record it to my hadr drive with the Pyro software I bought recently. Pyro claims to be able to record music in this manner, so I'll see if that works. But that seems like a real SLooooooooow way to accomplish this.

Any ideas you guys have will be greatly appreciated. Y'all came through for me on the mp3 thread, so I figure I'd mine the well of knowledge again!

Well Al, I use Wire Tap which records ANY sound on your desktop with a click of a button,

but going by your mention of WAV files, I'm guessing that you're on a PC,

so I found this as a possibility:

All Sound

but I can't tell you how well it works.

You may just spend some time at Versiontracker and use their search there -

"audio recording" or similar phrase should do the trick.

Windows Audio

Hope this helps!

I use a nice program in my PC called DVD Audio Extractor. It can extract the audio tracks (Dolby 2 or 5.1) from commercial DVDs, at a variety of bitrates and into a variety of file formats (including wave). I just used it to extract the musical tracks from my Randy Weston "Live In St. Lucia" DVD and made CDRs for our car.

I place the DVD in my computer's DVD reader, use DVD Audio Extractor to create wave files, then use Nero to edit those files and burn them to a CDR. If the DVD chapters do not require editing (ie. the selected chapters on the DVD correspond precisely with how you'd like the tracks on the CDR, then you can more simply use DVD Audio Extractor to make an image of the selected audio portions of the DVD, and then a program, like Nero, can make a CDR from the image file.

Another way that I've transferred DVD audio to CDR is through my stereo system, which includes a DVD player and a CDR/CDRW recorder. The results are almost as good, but it requires a little more effort.

SEK, is this something available commerically or should it already be pre-installed on my PC?

Rod, that site rocks!!!! I'd never heard of it until you linked me to it! I tried that All Sound, and that would be great if my DVD player didn't skip/pause like it does. However, I did find a program called A1 DVD Audio Ripper. Now THAT is da bomb!!! The trial version only lets me rip 1/2 of what I want to rip, and I suppose I could maneuver around to make it work; but this program is so cool, it may be worth the $30 license fee. Subsequently, I realized there is a lot of audio on my DVDs that I'd like to transfer, so this may be the one to get (for me)!

Man, who needs Google when I have you guys? :tup:D

SEK, is this something available commerically or should it already be pre-installed on my PC?

It's shareware that's fully functional for 30 days (I bought it, BTW). I think that it leaves A1 DVD Audio Ripper in the dust (tried that too; YMMV, etc).

Since you don't Google ;) , you can find it at DVD Audio Extractor (http://www.castudio.org/dvdaudioextractor/). Enjoy!

Well, I had no idea there were programs to extract audio from a DVD ... so when I had the same problem Al had, I played the DVD and launched my audio editing software Goldwave and trial and error quickly revealed what input the DVD audio was going to, so I was able to record the audio in "real time" and save it as a wav.

Edited by Dan Gould