CACHAITO!

jazzbo

07559796302.jpg

Thanks to Harold for getting me to listen to this cd! Chacaito is the bass player for the Buena Vista Social Club, and here he has his own album. Very interesting music, contemporary as well as traditional, excellent sound (the bass violin on this sounds the way a bass violin should sound on a cd!) Nice use of a few violins, the Hammond organ, and some pseudo-psychedelic guitar. . . and a great use of one of the most recongnizable of Mingus riffs!

Edited by jazzbo

This CD got more play last summer than anything else in my collection. I seem to remember Bev being one of the only people on the "old board" that was familiar with it! I think it takes a trusted name like "Lonson" ;) for a recommendation to sink in!

Cachaito is the youngest of the bassists in the Club. I think he has another album in the works.

This summer its been the Trojan Rocksteady 3-disc and Dead Meadow!

I was there to second the recommendation then, and I will do the same now. If you don't have it, go buy it!

I love the Arsenio Rodriguez tune with the Tres player and the violin section. It is so good that I often have to shut the stereo off afterwords, because I cannot follow it up with anything. The arrangement is soaring and out of this world [Pee Wee Ellis, maybe?]. The whole album is recorded well. The only thing I skip over regularly is the pseudo-hip-hop cut about half way through. I give them points for trying, but it is a jarring departure from the woderfully organic sound of the rest of the album.

Cachaito plays bass on the new Manuel Galban/Ry Cooder album, too! :)

Well, I definitely missed recommendations of this recording on other boards. I haven't been bowled over by the whole Buena Vista Club recordings, or a lot of what Cooder has been doing in the last decade or two. Not saying it isn't great, just saying it's not my thing.

But I really like this one! Hippity hoppin', digital reverb, dubbin' and all.

Edited by jazzbo

Played this again this afternoon (nice hot summer day here). Quite wonderful.

Towards the end it sounded like Santana should sound. All that swirling organ and cuban whooziness*. Marvellous.

[*Not trying to stereotype Cubans here! 'Whooziness' is a high point of praise in my musical world! More whooze, less plod please, musicians of the world! Little Feat did 'whooze' to perfection!]

Caney Records has a few kick ass cds of Cachao, called "Legendary Descarga Sessions" and "More Legendary Descarga Sessions." They are jams sessions from Cuba and New York in the late 50's - early 60's, and these have been some of my all time favorite latin cds. All instrumentals, and I believe the New York sessions have a few jazz musicians in the mix. Very funky and toe tapping music. :tup

Caney Records has a few kick ass cds of Cachao, called "Legendary Descarga Sessions" and "More Legendary Descarga Sessions." They are jams sessions from Cuba and New York in the late 50's - early 60's, and these have been some of my all time favorite latin cds. All instrumentals, and I believe the New York sessions have a few jazz musicians in the mix. Very funky and toe tapping music. :tup

HELL YEAH!

I bought the Cuban stuff on PanArt (now THERE'S a label with a history more about which I'd like to know!) LPs back in the day, and STILL play them relentlessly. Gonna have to check out those CDs!

CHOMBO SILVA!!!!

So would I, JSngry. I have 10 lps from that label, and they are all amazing 50's Cuban music.

Actually, I was thinking about it and I will have to check my cds. Panart has a cd called Cuban Jam Session, but the Caneys I thought were of different sessions. Well, yeah, because of the New York jams in the 60's, and I think PanArt was a Cuban based label (or were they stationed in Miami?), and they vanished when Castro came around. Hmmmm.........

Edited by Stefan Wood

• 4 years later...