Rev Al Green: Live @ the 9:30 Club, Washington, DC

HWright

I saw Al Green at the 9:30 Club in Washington, DC. last night.

The opening act was a young soul/r'n'b singer named Angela Johnson. She performed an energetic set of original tunes from her first two albums. By the end of her set she had won the crowd over, myself included.

Then Al came on and the crowd went wild. Al handed out roses to the ladies in the crowd and welcomed everyone to the concert. He played with a large group: three guitarists, one organ player, one keyboard player, horn section of about 3 players, two drummers, and 3 or 4 back up singers. In addition there were two young male dancers who came out during the more upbeat numbers. Although I like a big sound generally, I found this way too loud for the most part, especially considering the size of the club (and the fact that I was in the front near the stage!).

Al played his greatest hits from the Hi Years, the title tracks of his two Blue Note releases and two Gospel numbers, one of which was "Amazing Grace" (I wasn't able to identify the other one). I never heard him live before but he struck me as being in fine form and vocally was quite on the ball, using his famous falsetto from time to time.

I saw Al Green at the 9:30 Club in Washington, DC. last night.

The opening act was a young soul/r'n'b singer named Angela Johnson. She performed an energetic set of original tunes from her first two albums.  By the end of her set she had won the crowd over, myself included.

Then Al came on and the crowd went wild. Al handed out roses to the ladies in the crowd and welcomed everyone to the concert.  He played with a large group: three guitarists, one organ player, one keyboard player, horn section of about 3 players, two drummers, and 3 or 4 back up singers. In addition there were two young male dancers who came out during the more upbeat numbers.  Although I like a big sound generally, I found this way too loud for the most part, especially considering the size of the club (and the fact that I was in the front near the stage!). 

Al played his greatest hits from the Hi Years, the title tracks of his two Blue Note releases and two Gospel numbers, one of which was "Amazing Grace" (I wasn't able to identify the other one). I never heard him live before but he struck me as being in fine form and vocally was quite on the ball, using his famous falsetto from time to time.

Three guitarists???? Damn, I like the sound of that! :)