Norman Granz Village

brownie

Picked up 'How Long, How Long Blues' by Harry ''Edison'' Six (that's how it's spelled on the digipack and the disc) on the Village label.

Session recorded in LA on March 11th & 12th, 1991.

Lineup is 'Sweets' and Snooky Young on trumpet, Curtis Peagler on alto, Mike Wofford on piano, Keter Betts on bass, Bobby Durham on drums.

This was produced by Norman Granz who also wrote the liner notes (dated Nov. 1992).

A very enjoyable date.

I had never heard of that label and of Granz producing sessions outside of Pablo in his later years. A google for details on albums from the Village label did not produce anything.

Anybody has details on other CDs from the label?

The copy I have was made in Germany and comes from the ZYX people.

Other issues may include:

Stefan Bauer: Coming Home (1002)

Ulli Junemann: Let's Call It A Day (1017)

Berne, Baby, Berne (2001)

Only the last seems to be closely linked to the Harry Edison (he's on it, along with a host of similar folks). It's a retrospective of the Berne Jazz Festival.

Not sure if this Village is related to the label that reissued classic 1920s material. There are a few others that do not seem to be related.

Mike

Apart from VILCD 1004-2: Harry Edison Six: How long, how long blues, the only other release under a "Village" label with "similar" catalog number that I´ve found in Lord CD-Rom are:

-VILCD 1002-2: Stefan Bauer Band: Coming home (1991)

-VILCD 2001-2: Various artists: Berne, baby, Berne! International Jazzfestival Berne, various years (Louie Bellson, Modern Jazz Quartet, Oscar Peterson Trio, Sammy Price, Maxine Sullivan, Buddy Tate, Clark Terry, Trumpet Kings, Teddy Wilson)

There are also some CDs of 20´s music under a Village (Germany) label with catalog numbers VILCD 0XX-2 (Wolverine Orchestra, Clarence Williams, Frank Teschemacher, Red Onion Jazz Babies...).

No idea if these labels are one and the same.

Dan, no. The CD I have does look like an original issue. As EKE BBB posted earlier, the session is included in The Lord!

What I find interesting - beside the music being highly enjoyable - is the fact that it's a Norman Granz-produced date! And that its existence is nowhere to be seen on the Internet...

Can't recall seeing the fact that in the last years of his life Granz produced music outside of his Pablo label ever mentioned!

And, once more, thanks Michael for the research!