New Jeremy Pelt CD

montg

I've been anticipating this for awhile based on Pelt's past work and the MP3s I've heard. It's due out on July 19, but in the meantime, there are plenty of MP3s here:

peltjazz.com

Here's an album description found at amazon:

Over the last year and a half Pelt has been writing compositions that would help define his musical direction. These compositions were written specifically for various acoustic and electric configurations. Identity features a core band of Frank LoCrasto (piano, Fender Rhodes, Hammond B-3 & Clavinet), Vicente Archer (bass), and Eric McPherson (drums). Guest artist appearances are by Mike Moreno (guitar), Warren Wolf (vibes) and Myron Walden (soprano saxophone & bass clarinet).

The recording presents over 70 minutes of fresh repertoire. Pelt’s upbeat "Re-invention" opens the session with the quartet. The group slows things down with "Eddie’s Story" dedicated to Dr. Eddie Henderson. This piece allows Pelt to exhibit his fluid phrasings on the flugelhorn. The pace quickens with the first electric offering titled "Seek". The vibrant composition "Suspicion" follows, giving Pelt a chance to improvise while the rhythm section vamps before guitarist Mike Moreno slows it down with a tasty, straight-ahead solo. Pelt then pays tribute to the recently deceased pianist, James Williams, with "Eye of the Beholder", a ballad that features subtle effects between the trumpet and Fender Rhodes. The quartet becomes a quintet with the addition of vibist Warren Wolf on the straight-ahead composition "Celestial," that features a nice solo from bassist Vicente Archer. Wolf and the quartet pick up the pace on "Angular," which is a roller-coaster of a ride highlighted by trading between Pelt and Wolf. The pace slows dramatically for the beautiful ballad "Haiku" that showcases Pelt’s breathtaking use of space as well as his delicate sound on the muted trumpet. "Scorpio" and "Dusk" close the session with the help of Myron Walden and Moreno. The two compositions are filled with effects, and the music moves into an electric freefall as the inventive and eclectic session comes to a close.

Edited by montg

The only Pelt disc I have is "Insight" on the Criss Cross label, which is excellent. He sounds really good on the Ralph Peterson Criss Cross sessions as well. He's really a fine trumpet player....one of the best young cats around IMO. I need to get this, as well as Close to my Heart, his previous MaxJazz disc.

The only Pelt disc I have is "Insight" on the Criss Cross label, which is excellent.  He sounds really good on the Ralph Peterson Criss Cross sessions as well.  He's really a fine trumpet player....one of the best young cats around IMO.  I need to get this, as well as Close to my Heart, his previous MaxJazz disc.

Close To My Heart is excellent.

The description of this new one makes me a little "nervous".

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a chance to listen to this a couple of times and form some initial impressions. All the compositions are by Pelt. Some of them have a kind of Monkian quality with interesting twists (the opening cut, for instance). Others (e.g., Scorpio, Dusk) seem to have a more cinematic quality which aim to build a soundscape...these cuts tend to be more drawn out and now and then feature some sound effects (not obtrusive, imo). Pelt's playing is excellent and inventive throughout and he's going to be a major player for long time. However, I found this disc slightly disappointing. There aren't enough uptempo numbers and some of the songs really drag on. Also, I think the date could have been enlivened by another pianist (insert obligatory 'imo' here). Of course, my opinion could change over successive listenings--maybe I'm missing something.

Warren Wolf (vibraphone) appears on three tracks and I found him really impressive...when he and Pelt are trading responses on one track in particular (forget its name), things really heat up. :tup for Warren Wolf (not to be confused, incidentally, with Warner Wolf)

2004_06_swarnerwolf.jpg

I would like to note that despite the fact that this disc was released on July 19th, I have yet to see it ANYWHERE. I've checked several stores in two cities (Albany, NY and Washington, D.C.). Normally Maxjazz doesn't have a problem with distribution, so I don't know what gives here. Anyway, I had to order it online...