The lost art of writing standards.

Hardbopjazz

if we talk about standards in the old sense than we have to think of the form - sometimes AABA, sometimes not - and the styles of triadic harmonies, the typical ideas of chord movment, and and see if musicians really have the feeling for that anymore. Few do, for better or worse - those standards, and the older jazz players who wrote their own, arose at a time when the pop music of the day was relatively harmonically complex - you just don't hear new pop tunes like All the Things You Are or You Go To My Head, or Like Someone in Love or Darn That Dream or Now That You're Gone on the radio anymore. Perspective changes; with all music you've really got to hear it all the time in your head it before you can play or write it with conviction, it's got to be part of your life, socially and psychologically, most likely, before you can do it well - it's the same reason that so much contemporary bebop falls flat - it lacks that initial sense of freshness and discovery, the sense of musicians who were truly JUST THAN discovering and mastering the form.

Edited by AllenLowe

THINGS THAT MAKE ONE SAY "HM-MM".

Each epoch has it's own character in its artistic exploits. Imitation of masterworks of the past is not art; it is routine What gives value to a work is those feature in which it differs from other works.

LUDWIG VON MISES, The Anti-Capitalist Mentality

The music challenge : what IS music and how does one make it?

Olive me,

Why not take olive me?

Can't you see that

You're no good you're no good you're no good

Baby, you're no good.

I see your face,

Drift past my window

Where the livin' is easy.

I've just seen a face I can't forget the time or place

Where we just met,

She's just the girl for me and I want all the world to see we've met.

Have you met Mrs. Jones?

Miss Terry Osso?

Nothing like you has ever been seen before;

Drifting past my window

Like summer kisses I used to Oleo.

(Repeat "A" twice, give me the "B" where the saxophones roam, give the drummer some, second ending then coda, tutti hit ending where tutti all want to play the very last note, FINE barbutal ending).

if we talk about standards in the old sense than we have to think of the form... 

...the sense of musicians who were truly JUST THAN discovering and mastering the form.

In both cases, replace "than" with "then".

Sorry, but my mother-in-law does this all the time, and it drives me insane (more insane than I already was :crazy: )