Bob Brookmeyer, Art Pepper, Gerry Mulligan

mrjazzman

as jesse jackson once said,  pay attention to the message and not the messenger.........

....is this before he "counselled" Bill Clinton for the blow job in the White House only for the world to find out months later that he, himself fathered a kid with another woman while he was married???

now you're mister morality also, you're a real complete guy aren't you, how many kids have you fathered, if you've got any it probably was by artificial insimination

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, im tired of this s---, dan gould and sheldonm, f---- the both of you. both of you can kiss my m----- f------ a-- and i dare both of you to come on out here to EAST OAKLAND(I'll send you a round trip ticket)  and say that s--- to my face and see what happenes to the both of you. both of you need to spend more time with your boyfriends, you're spending way too much time on this forum. how many of you stupid M----- f-----'s on this forum(the ones like dan gould and sheldon) are black, after all BLACK people invented this music from the blues from which hard bop is derived. come on fellas, which one of you who've been shooting all the profanity and the stupid comments are BLACK??????? NONE OF YOU, I'LL BET.  what a bunch of childish a-- h----

as jack nicholson once said, you all   CAN'T STAND THE TRUTH

From the Forum Rules:

2) Anything judged to be a direct personal threat towards another member of this board will be deleted and the offender may face banning. The definiton of "threat" is determined by our moderators

Use, the ball is in your court. But clearly this jackass needs to have his ass canned from the board.

I know you dad's name is/was jack, didn't know your mom's name is/was ass.......

how many of you stupid M----- f-----'s on this forum(the ones like dan gould and sheldon) are black, after all BLACK people invented this music from the blues from which hard bop is derived. come on fellas, which one of you who've been shooting all the profanity and the stupid comments are BLACK??????? NONE OF YOU, I'LL BET.  what a bunch of childish a-- h----

....so only black people can listen or comment on jazz???? Actually Dan and I are both black.....I bet you're really a white guy!!!

m-

i can show proof that i am a black man, can you??????????????and at least you aren't as stupid as you sound because at least you didn't try and debunck the fact(like some of you white folks do)that jazz was created by BLACK PEOPLE

Noi,

that's the only art pepper set that i own, only because he is with miles' rhythm section, and i will admit he sounds pretty decent on that record. so, MAYBE i shouldn't have included him with brookmeyer and mulligan. But i still think he is slightly over rated, didn't and never said he shouldn't be rated, i just feel he is over rated. brookmeyer and mulligan i have absolutely no use for. thanks for giving the opposing opinion without getting personal and attacking.............mrjazzman

ok, im tired of this s---, dan gould and sheldonm, f---- the both of you. both of you can kiss my m----- f------ a-- and i dare both of you to come on out here to EAST OAKLAND(I'll send you a round trip ticket)  and say that s--- to my face and see what happenes to the both of you. both of you need to spend more time with your boyfriends, you're spending way too much time on this forum. how many of you stupid M----- f-----'s on this forum(the ones like dan gould and sheldon) are black, after all BLACK people invented this music from the blues from which hard bop is derived. come on fellas, which one of you who've been shooting all the profanity and the stupid comments are BLACK??????? NONE OF YOU, I'LL BET.  what a bunch of childish a-- h----

From the Forum Rules:

2) Anything judged to be a direct personal threat towards another member of this board will be deleted and the offender may face banning. The definiton of "threat" is determined by our moderators

Use, the ball is in your court. But clearly this jackass needs to have his ass canned from the board.

you little pussy, you throw all that stupid shit at me too the point where im not going to sit quietly back and take, and when you get it back in your face, you run to the forum rules. are you sure you're name is not danica, oh excuse me she's got bigger balls than you do...........

how many of you stupid M----- f-----'s on this forum(the ones like dan gould and sheldon) are black, after all BLACK people invented this music from the blues from which hard bop is derived. come on fellas, which one of you who've been shooting all the profanity and the stupid comments are BLACK??????? NONE OF YOU, I'LL BET.  what a bunch of childish a-- h----

....so only black people can listen or comment on jazz???? Actually Dan and I are both black.....I bet you're really a white guy!!!

m-

you have nothing but sarcastic arrows in your quiver, im all black, all man, email me a photo lets see how black you really are. when they do away with sarcasm, you'll die of starvation.......

From the Forum Rules:

dan, you have 5342 posts and i have less than 200(many of those in the last few days)so do you really think canning me from this forum will hurt my feelings??? shows how stupid you are, spend more time with loved ones(if there are any)and less time on this forum

as jesse jackson once said,  pay attention to the message and not the messenger.........

....is this before he "counselled" Bill Clinton for the blow job in the White House only for the world to find out months later that he, himself fathered a kid with another woman while he was married???

what house was he supposed to get it in, the holliday inn????????

what house was he supposed to get it in, the holliday inn????????

my boy and the best president we've ever had, bill clinton, the blackest white man i've ever known.........

they don't deserve the attention they've got in the past, no real point to be made. its just that i don't like these guys for the above stated reasons and was curios as to who agrees or disagrees............mrjazzman

So they don't deserve the attention they got just because you don't like them, is that what you're saying? That's going a bit far, isn't it? Sounds pretty arrogant to me.

There are lots of artists I don't like or I'm not interested in, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve the attention they got, that's not up to me.

no, not JUST because i don't like them

Back to the subject at hand and getting away from ad hominum attack mode, I'm a huge Pepper fan, IMO outside Charlie Parker, the best post-bop alto saxophonist ever.  Mulligan I also like, but maybe more for his compositional contributions than for what he did instrumentally.  He's still right up there on my A-list of baritone players, but I'd still put Chaloff and maybe one or two others ahead of him.  I do love the CJB stuff though.  Brookmeyer I just don't know as well as I should.  He plays valve trombone which right away sets him apart from any kind of meaningful "competitive" discusion and he's also a fine pianst and a gifted arranger.  I should have more Brookmeyer in my collection than I do, but for whatever reason, he's never really rung my bell.

Up over and out.

he never rung your bell because he's not a bell ringer like j.j. johnson and the like.....

mrjazzman, while you're certainly entitled to your opinions you shouldn't be surprised when others happen not to agree with you. We all have our likes and dislikes. Even musicians, or perhaps especially musicians, have their prejudices. For example, you list both Pepper Adams and Serge Chaloff as two of your favorite baritone players. They're both right up there on my list as well, yet it seems Pepper Adams hated Serge Chaloff's playing. Try to find the Cadence Magazine interview in which Adams savages Chaloff. I couldn't believe my eyes when I first read it. I'd always felt Adams had been influenced by Chaloff. But, as Fats Waller said, "One never knows, do one?"

disagreements i can handle of course, its the name calling personal attacks i take offense to, you all need to stop saying i can't handle the disagreements. in my original thread i said i knew i'd catch hell for this, and i took the personal shit for as long as i could, not one of you has been brave or honest enough to say that the personal attacks serve no real purpose on this forum. and also, you reap what you sow. when you name call, expect to be called names. you don't have to like or agree with what i say, thats cool, you may not have to "can" me from this forum, it might be a voluntary thing..........

bob brookmeyer "major and revered" you've got to be kidding.......

Nope. Not at all. He's both in my world.

ok kenny, i can dig that........

And I suspect I'm not alone!

Have you heard any of the Mulligan Concert Jazz Band albums?

no, why would i keep tasting chocolate when i know i don't like chocolate, i love vanella and thats all i like, i know its all ice cream, but why try the other stuff knowing i only like vanella.............

Have you heard any of the Mulligan Concert Jazz Band albums?

no i haven't, think it would be a waste of my time, ive heard his playing and imo its the jazz equivilant(spelling) to elavator music. to lightweight, i like the heavy, intense, blusey hard bop playing of pepper adams, leo parker, ronnie cuber, charles davis

:o

Deciding that you won't like something before even hearing it is never a good thing.

The CJB Mosaic is choc full of superb music; intelligent, driving and (despite the 'big band' setting) spontaneous. Definitely not lightweight. Most definitely not elevator music.

If you don't want to spring for the Mosaic at least check out the CJB at the Village Vanguard disc. If you still have the same opinion afterwards, at least it'll be an informed opinion.

Am I to assume you haven't heard Art Pepper's Vanguard recordings either?

mrjazzman,

You make awfully loud pronouncements for someone hiding behind a screen name.

So here we have a physical threat towards other board members and a nice display of homophobia thrown in for good measure. You're treading a very thin line.

And all this black/white shit is stupid. Grow up.

Time to close this thread.