Bob Brookmeyer, Art Pepper, Gerry Mulligan

mrjazzman

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bottom line is pepper 'the best post-bop alto player since bird' that guy was obviously smoking something or he dosen't have any records by mclean, adderley, stitt and the like .

Hmm. "...was obviously smoking something..." If that's not a euphemism for "uninformed", I'm not sure what is.

If you go back and read my first couple of posts, I think you'll see I was trying to be accommodating of your opinions. However, when those opinions are so dogmatic and unassailable and you mix them with so much hostility, that bothers me. Jazz pitches a pretty big tent and there's lots of room under it for everyone. What would have been wrong with an initial post that simply said, "I have trouble understanding what people see in Art Pepper, Bob Brookmeyer and Gerry Mulligan. Would be interested in your thoughts on these artists." Instead, the first thing you do is throw down the gauntlet. If you get off on being confrontational, that's fine, but don't be shocked when your approach is reciprocated. You started it.

Up over and out.

dave james, i understand and maybe agree with what you are saying, but i beg to differ with you when it comes to profane language and attacks, i started none of that but im about to respond to those who did do that

ok, im tired of this s---, dan gould and sheldonm, f---- the both of you. both of you can kiss my m----- f------ a-- and i dare both of you to come on out here to EAST OAKLAND(I'll send you a round trip ticket) and say that s--- to my face and see what happenes to the both of you. both of you need to spend more time with your boyfriends, you're spending way too much time on this forum. how many of you stupid M----- f-----'s on this forum(the ones like dan gould and sheldon) are black, after all BLACK people invented this music from the blues from which hard bop is derived. come on fellas, which one of you who've been shooting all the profanity and the stupid comments are BLACK??????? NONE OF YOU, I'LL BET. what a bunch of childish a-- h----

as jack nicholson once said, you all CAN'T STAND THE TRUTH

bottom line is pepper 'the best post-bop alto player since bird' that guy was obviously smoking something or he dosen't have any records by mclean, adderley, stitt and the like .

Hmm. "...was obviously smoking something..." If that's not a euphemism for "uninformed", I'm not sure what is.

If you go back and read my first couple of posts, I think you'll see I was trying to be accommodating of your opinions. However, when those opinions are so dogmatic and unassailable and you mix them with so much hostility, that bothers me. Jazz pitches a pretty big tent and there's lots of room under it for everyone. What would have been wrong with an initial post that simply said, "I have trouble understanding what people see in Art Pepper, Bob Brookmeyer and Gerry Mulligan. Would be interested in your thoughts on these artists." Instead, the first thing you do is throw down the gauntlet. If you get off on being confrontational, that's fine, but don't be shocked when your approach is reciprocated. You started it.

Up over and out.

dave james, i understand and maybe agree with what you are saying, but i beg to differ with you when it comes to profane language and attacks, i started none of that but im about to respond to those who did do that

sometimes there can be a fine line between being confrontational and very opinionated, i am a very opinionated person. you and jazzbo seem to have a voice of reason when you strongly disagree with something someone has said

although i will not respond in kind because im not ignorant and am very intelligent and educated, i'd like to know if sheldonm's profane comments are tolerated on this forum. I have not used that type of language in response to all the attacks but my patience is wearing thin. when you make unnecessary comments like that, it opens up a can of worms. can someone answer the question. does the forum have a moderator???????

Yes, there is a moderator, but believe me, it is likely that the FIST OF DOOM will come down on your F**KING TROLLING *SS, so I strongly suggest that you watch what you ask for.

maybe when you hit 40 in a couple of months you will have reached an acceptable level of maturity

chuck nessa

if you've read all the posts you'll see that im the one under attack for rendering what is obviously an unpopular opinion. but thats ok, i knew i'd catch hell for this. since you're here, if i had my way all of symphony sids comments would be edited/removed from any and all recordings he is on.........mrjazzman

I have read this thread from the start. I think there are legit complaints about the reps of the folks you mention and am willing to debate but think you are too "confrontational" to be a worthy adversary.

I have insisted on including all of Sid's comment to show him for "what he is" and to give context to the era. Do you really want to edit history?

You seem to be trying hard for some sort of "jerk" award.

"I think there are legit complaints about the reps of the folks you mention" i don't see anyone attacking chuck nessa for agreeing with me, no jerks, a-- ho---, troll, ignorant etc

chuck nessa

if you've read all the posts you'll see that im the one under attack for rendering what is obviously an unpopular opinion. but thats ok, i knew i'd catch hell for this. since you're here, if i had my way all of symphony sids comments would be edited/removed from any and all recordings he is on.........mrjazzman

I have read this thread from the start. I think there are legit complaints about the reps of the folks you mention and am willing to debate but think you are too "confrontational" to be a worthy adversary.

I have insisted on including all of Sid's comment to show him for "what he is" and to give context to the era. Do you really want to edit history?

You seem to be trying hard for some sort of "jerk" award.

"I think there are legit complaints about the reps of the folks you mention" i don't see anyone attacking chuck nessa for agreeing with me, no jerks, a-- ho---, troll, ignorant etc

:rfr

although i will not respond in kind because im not ignorant and am very intelligent and educated, i'd like to know if sheldonm's profane comments are tolerated on this forum. I have not used that type of language in response to all the attacks but my patience is wearing thin. when you make unnecessary comments like that, it opens up a can of worms. can someone answer the question. does the forum have a moderator???????

...to use your logic or lack of logic, where did sheldonm use profanity???? F***ing is nothing more than a few letters and symbols strung together :) .

you know what your intent was and so do i.....

mjm,  you are a f***ing idiot! :)

i've got an anger management class i'd like to enroll you in. I'll schedule it right after your session with the psychologist............

I'm sure the people on this board that know me will tell you I'm not an angry person but it appears by this thread that you do not care about anyones opinion but yours; you are an ignorant person with no credibility on this board.

m-

glad you said "on this board" my life is not lived on this board

mrjazzman is not a good advert for hard bop.

Each to his own.

But it's unusual - except in the case of WM perhaps - for a poster to start a thread for no other purpose than to slag three major and revered artists.

What's the point? You gotta know there's gonna be some snaky responses.

Pitiful.

advert??????????

Hey, not too many valve trombonists out there... Brookmeyer and my 'namesake' are the ones that come most quickly to mind. So at least for that you gotta give him credit. And yeah, those Verve samba/third-stream sides he did were weak, but I'm all for the Jimmy Giuffre 3.

no, i don't give him credit for that, he took the easy way out when he could have learned slide...........

Count me in as a Brookmeyer fan. I think his improvisations have a lot of continuity and good development of ideas, and he swings too. I'm really a fan of his arranging/composing though. He's definitely one of the heaviest in that area IMHO, up there with Bill Holman.

Regarding Mulligan, I like his playing (even if my favorite baritonist is Pepper), arranging and LOVE the CJB.

To each his own. :g

Bill Holman? Stoopid muzak! Bah! :P:g

Big fan of Brookmeyer and Geru here... their music has a freshness that continues to be striking still today. Not your usual run-of-the-mill hardbop crap that those weird Germans in New York produced... you know, all those boring albums by overrated guys like Horace Silver, Art Blekey (sp?), Hank Mobley, Jackie McLean and all those other boring fellas.

you just mentioned four of the greatest names in jazz history, so you like sarcasm too, thats cool.......

:)

To each his own... for me Mulligan and Pepper and Brookmeyer are just as much "great names" as Blakey and Silver and company!

mulligan and brookmeyer as great as silver and blakey???? stop somking and drinking they're harming your brain