Buying a computer

Hi all,

I have been put into the unfortunate position of picking out a computer for my mother-in law. I haven't bought a desk top in a while and was wondering if I might get some advice from some of the more computer savvy members. Much thanks in advance. Here`s what her needs are:

Price is not a factor but she doesn't want to pay for extra frills she won't use. She wants a flat screen 19 "monitor, she wants the speediest operational computer possible (she wants the ability to add RAM later, but hopefully not for a long time), but doesn't need a huge amount of hard drive space. Storing pictures and programs files is what she uses her HD space for mainly. A built-in wireless with good video and audio.

So what are considered the best desktops now-a-days (PC's), and what would be the best place to buy from?

Thanks all.

-john

For people who just want for basic stuff a small Dell system would be fine. They're better than any of the other prebuilt machines and are fine for those who just want a machine for pictures or email or whatever normal people use computers for.

Personally, I'm a fan of Dell, and have been using their computers for years and would recommend them to anybody. The only reason why I would say that you might want to check out a retailer is if you prefer to look at or try things before you buy them. A Best Buy or CompUSA or the like would allow you to do this, and ask questions, too. I would probably go this route for at least the monitor. I'm picky about picture quality and would want to see what I'm getting into before spending hundreds of dollars on a display.

Again, Dell is a good brand, and I love having the ability to customize my computers before buying. I also have a Sony desktop, which has been very reliable. My father has several Sony computers and they've all been extremely reliable as well. Good luck with the search.

Thanks guys,

Sounds like Dell is the way to go. I shall proceed in that direction unless anyone has any Dell horror stories they'd like to share. Your suggestion to buy the moniter seperately at a store in town so you can see what you're getting is a great suggestion Vibes, thanks.

-j

I'm not sure I would be so quick to recommend Dell. I see them as the best in a pretty bad field, for the most part. The machines generally work fine but their customer service is mediocre at best. They also try to push their BS "Dell Finance Plan" on you by discounting the price slightly. It can seem like an attractive option if you already have all the cash set aside (who wouldn't pass up the chance to get an easy $50-100 off the price, if you know interest rates aren't going to be a factor?) but it can also be much more trouble than it's worth. When you sign up for this thing you end up dealing with a third party that handles the finance end--and they're even harder to deal with than Dell if something goes wrong. There have been horror stories.

My own experience with them is actually pretty good, but that's because Dell's incompetence resulted in my ending up with a free computer.

Edited by Big Wheel

John, if you do choose Dell, check for coupons at couponmountain.com before you order. I helped my brother get a new computer (much like you're helping your mother-in-law), and was able to save him almost $500 with the coupons I found.

Dell's tech support used to be the best but I guess because they've gotten so big, it's fallen off considerably. If you do need assistance, you'll almost always be talking to a man or woman from India or Panama, struggling to speak English in an intelligible manner. In my experience, the problems always get solved but it can be very frustrating. I don't know if it's better anywhere else.

The coupons are a good idea, and the Online Dell Specials change very frequently...sometimes day to day. Keep checking. In addition to free shipping, you can get some really good deals.

I've had Dells exclusively for about 10 years now, and have been well-pleased. I've heard a few horror stories, but in proportion to the number of "satisfied" customers, the percentage seems really low.

The outsourcing of Tech Support is troubling, though. My first experience with it was extremely frustrating, my second much less so. So the jury's still out afaic.

But I will say this - as far as being ready out of the box, no tricks, no gimmicks, no surprises, no screwups, and staying ready to run, I've not seen or heard of any better PC. If your mother-in-law's not going to be engaging in any "risky" behavior computer-wise, I think she'll be well-served by a Dell.

Still, buy the extended service plan anyway. One accident and it pays for istself. And they WILL come to your house for free if you play super-dumb and/or scared shitless when they try to walk you through attempting to fix it over the phone first. Of course, if you like to learn on the fly, like I do, the fixing it by phone is pretty cool, But I know soem folks who aren't, who said "NO WAY", and they got in-house service w/no questions asked. GOOD service, too!

No such thing as perfect, to be sure, but I've still got no reason not to buy a Dell the next time out.

she wants the speediest operational computer possible

I would rather go for the most ergonomic (silent) one, since speed is not an issue anymore with current computers (unless your mother in law plays the latest 3D games or compresses DVDs to DivX files). With my 4 year old Athlon 1000 I'm almost never in need of more processing power. The fastest CPUs produce a lot of heat and tend to have noisy fans. So I recommend a slower one, which will also save $100-150.

Hard drives are all big today, you won`t find a PC with less than 60GB. 120GB is the standard.

As far as memory goes, 512MB is enough, unless a lot of graphics/video editing is made on the PC.

Edited by Claude

I was going to go with a Dell, last time I updated my computer a year and a half ago. I knew which components I wanted and had Envision Computer Solutions in Salina, Kansas assemble my desktop unit in a nice quiet case. It's functioned flawlessly, and, whenever I have a question, I speak directly with the owner.