Chrysler 300

I was just looking at those yesterday, mostly out of curiousity (fully paid-off cars are a wonderful thing, it would suck to have car payments again! ;)). Sticker price ranged from around $28k up to about $36k. Gas mileage isn't horrible; somewhere around 26 highway, depending on the engine.

Very cool! :cool:

Absolutely loved it........ until I drove it.

I still think this is one of the best looking new cars out there right now. I was seriously considering buying one. I test drove one with the LIMITED trim - the bigger V6 (3.5L 250hp) as well as a "C" (5.7L 340 hp V8). I felt the V6 was a bit underpowered and am really surprised they make a smaller V6, the base model with 2.7L 190hp.

The "C" was great. But of course it starts at $33k and can approach $40k depending on whether you go all wheel drive or the highend SRT-8. My biggest complaint was the thing is just too boaty. Really mushy handling. I wanted it to drive as powerful as it looks. Alas, it's another "grandpa" car - although admittedly grandpa just got a helluva lot hipper.

Other minor, yet important considerations, the stylish looks afforded by the short, high side windows does impact visibility significantly. The view from the rear window seems a bit restricted too. There's a lot of room inside, but much of it is wasted. I felt like the front dash was about a mile from the windshield - it's like a coffee table with a steering wheel. I did enjoy the headroom. I am 6'3" (which I don't consider all that tall) and was glad I could get behind the wheel and not have my head bump the roof (even with the moon roof).

Bottom line: if I were my father I would have bought the "C".

Now I am looking at the Acura TL.

Thanks for the information about the test drive.

I am pretty sure I would qualify as a grandpa driver when I resume driving. My days of enjoying the heck out of roaring around in my '64 Alfa Spyder 1600 are long gone. . . . I would want a comfy car for long road trips, and the 300 looks great in that aspect.

But I sure can't afford one!

My father-in-law bought one of these last year, the "C" variant with the big motor.

They are coming up in two weeks and it is my duty to pilot this thing from Minneapolis to Duluth. I look forward to giving a full report -- including tales of having to replace those rear tires...

mgraham, I have read nothing but good things about the Acura TL. If I recall, it comes as Consumer Reports' most recommended. And it is sharp to boot!