Jazz Foundation Charity Auction - 11/16/05

To everyone,

I got an E-mail from our friends at Mosaic Records looking for some help designing some web pages for a charitable auction to benefit the Jazz Foundation. Unfortunately, there isn't a budget for this work so it would have to be done pro bono. I suppose that if this kind of work was your line of business, you could probably write it off for a charitable expense.

The auction will be November 16, 2005 at B.B. King's Blues Club & Grill on 42nd Street in NYC.

The E-mail I got said that they were thinking about coordinating the live auction with a simultaneous eBay auction i.e. schedule the eBay auction so that it ended during the live auction at B.B. King's place. Sounds pretty tricky to me. I am willing to help, but when I saw the auction items, I blanched. I would not be able to design and lay out a web page that could do these items justice. They need to grab the attention. They need to extract the highest bids possible. I wouldn't know the first thing about how to do this within the confines of eBay, or if eBay is even the way to go.

When you see this list, you might understand my hesitancy.

If anyone is willing to help out, contact me and I'll get you in touch with Wendy Oxenhorn of the Jazz Foundation. As I said, I will help however I can but I do have a pretty busy day job. :)

Some of the items up for auction:

* The famous Blue Note Club’s Bösendorfer Grand Piano, played by all the legends

* Miles Davis’s boa constrictor snakeskin jacket

* Frank Foster’s Gold-Plated Selmer Tenor Saxophone

* Remo Palmier’s early 1950’s custom-designed one of a kind prototype Vega Guitar

* Private Piano lesson from Dr. Billy Taylor

* Clark Terry’s Eterna Bflat Silver-Plated Cornet used on The Tonight Show in the 1970’s and many famous recordings

* A stay at the “Palais Schaumburg in Salzburg” The 33-room palace built in the 14th century will be opened to an outsider for the first time by Prince Max of Schaumburg-Lippe. Jackie O and Aristotle Onassis, His Highness the Aga Khan and Jean Paul Getty are among the few outsiders to have stayed with the royal family.

* Freddie Hubbard’s Saxophone, yes, that’s what we said…

* Lunch for 4 in Time Inc.’s Private Executive Dining Room with Editor-in-Chief Norm Pearlstine who is responsible for 138 magazines including Time Magazine, PEOPLE, Fortune and Money to name a few.

* Private Guitar lesson from Bucky Pizzarelli

* Jazz All-Nighter from Harlem to New Orleans - This adventure will be hosted by Jazz Foundation's Director, Wendy Oxenhorn, and one of Harlem's legendary musicians. First make the rounds to the greatest unknown clubs of Harlem then fly to New Orleans on a private jet to finish a perfect night of jazz. You can watch the sun rise on the way back to New York. For 6 people.

* Guitar lessons from Danny Kalb, Founder of the Blues Project, (The band that influenced Led Zep and so many others.)

* Dinner with Dave Bruebeck at the fabulous Ellington’s Jazz Club on Sanibel Island. Package includes weekend stay on Sanibel Island, luxurious hotel, exquisite dining and dinner with Dave!

* Handwritten lyrics by Jimmy Norman, co-author of the famous rock n' roll tune recorded by the Rolling Stones "Time is on my Side." Jimmy Norman will write a song for a special occasion

* Stage costume donated by Cyndi Lauper from one of her tours

* Freddie Hubbard’s trumpet. (He’s getting a new one and giving us his!)

* Drum sticks used by Buddy Rich, Roy Haynes, Louis Belson

* Original Cape and Clothes worn by Sun Ra

* Coffee mug designed and autographed by Yoko Ono

* Lunch with McCoy Tyner (must check dates)

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

• 1 year later...

Mainly a historical curiousity now, but notable for the fact that these forums are cited.

Open Letter by Prince Alexander of Schaumburg-Lippe to Cindy Adams, New York Post, Regarding a Press Release by Prince Waldemar of Schaumburg-Lippe Dated Jan.30th, 2007

934 words

8 February 2007

06:57

PR Newswire (U.S.)

English

Copyright © 2007 PR Newswire Association LLC. All Rights Reserved.

BUCKEBURG, Germany, February 8 /PRNewswire/ -- The following statement is being issued by Prince Alexander Schaumburg-Lippe in reference to a press release published at http://www.presseportal.de/story.htx?nr=934214

Dear Ms. Adams,

The PR statement linked above, which has just been published in response to your New York Post column, may or may not have come to your attention.

It appears I stand accused of having influenced you to publish certain remarks about our unfortunate recent family annex Dr. Mario-M. P. Schaumburg-Lippe, aka "Prince Max".

As you yourself are well aware, we have never before communicated in any way. While your statements about Dr. Schaumburg-Lippe were essentially correct, I have had no hand in the matter. In order to avoid further confusion, I simply refrained from pointing out the marginally misleading statement that I claimed to be "the" real Prince of Schaumburg-Lippe.

Our family, obviously, has several members apart from myself. From our point of view, however, "Prince Max" is not one of them.

Unfortunately, it is indeed true that the alleged author of the publication, my uncle Waldemar, is on friendly terms with Dr. Schaumburg (*no* other family member except his daughter is). However, I find it somewhat difficult to believe that he alone has written this article, because, as far as facts about our family are concerned, it contains a number of serious inaccuracies.

For your convenience and for the information of others, here, from my point of view, is a quick and incomplete roundup of facts and corrections.

1. "Prince" is neither Dr. Schaumburg's title nor part of his last name. It is one of his 11 *taken* forenames. His birthname was Mario-Helmut Wagner.

2. The so-called - since 2005 - "Palais Schaumburg" in Salzburg, Gstaettengasse 5, a quaint, pretty town house like plenty of others in the immediate vicinity (and indeed, like these others, a protected site in very good condition), has *never* been a Schaumburg-Lippe family property. The owner is Dr. Schaumburg's birth mother Dr. Gertraud Wagner-Schoeppl. The so-called "Palais" is home to her and her son, not to my uncle Waldemar.

Dr. Schaumburg, however, has auctioned off a stay at this house for $ 36,000 under the false pretext it was a "royal residence" and a medieval "palace".

http://www.kfsm.com/Global/story.asp?S=411...;nav=menu151_10

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/lofiversi...php/t20926.html

http://www.jazzfoundation.org/auction/auction_brochure.pdf

3. Neither Liza Minnelli nor Ivana Trump have collaborated with Dr. Schaumburg on any of his charity initiatives, whatever these may be. Publications such as those linked below are, to the best of my knowledge, untrue.

http://gabsmash.blogspot.com/2006/01/princ...over-paris.html

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.ns...nnelli%20dating

%20royal%20toyboy

4. Waldemar, the alleged author, was not court photographer to HM Queen Margaret of Denmark. That was his wife Anne-Lise, who divorced him some 20 years ago (and has since passed away).

5. While a "Nachod" branch of the family does exist, Waldemar is *not* the head of that branch, but his older brother Wilhelm. We do not distinguish "Danish" or "German" sub-branches of our family. Waldemar has no official function whatsoever.

6. No member of the family has previously challenged my position as head of the *entire* House of Schaumburg-Lippe, an office which I took over from my father and grandfather.

7. No member of the family has objected to anything I have said about Dr. Schaumburg's adoptive mother, Princess Helga-Lee (1911 - 2005).

8. "Prince Max" is not a member of the House at all, either branch, because, as all other families like ours, we do not recognize adoptees. I don't know of any other adoption in our family at any time.

9. The head of the Nachod branch, my uncle Wilhelm, has *not* welcomed Dr. Schaumburg to our family - far from it. Neither has any other family member except Waldemar and his daughter.

10. Contrary to Dr. Schaumburg's frequent claims of being a "Royal", ours is a Princely House. I have asked him on several occasions to keep that in mind.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/lofiversi...php/t20926.html

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-138670965.html

11. My uncle Wilhelm has released a written statement in support of my above claims concerning our family.

12. The Federal Republic of Germany has existed since 1949, not 1918.

Finally, I would like to point out that all family issues mentioned are strictly a question of tradition and internal consent. They cannot possibly be subject to legal contest, or, for that matter, judgement by outsiders, such as Dr. Schaumburg.

Should you have any further questions, I am at your service. I would, however, not comment on any personal remarks about myself - particularly those dealing with my private life - as published in the statement.

Alexander Schaumburg-Lippe

Prince Alexander of Schaumburg-Lippe

Schloss

D-31675 Bueckeburg

Germany

Anja Tschirch

Personal Assistant to Prince Alexander of Schaumburg-Lippe

Schlossplatz 6

D-31675 Buckeburg

+49-5722-955815

anja-tschirch@hofkammer-bueckeburg.de