Dusty Groove - isms

I guess we've occasionally come across these. This review has the good grace to reveal that it is selling a play-along educator, but...

1. Jamey Aebersold -- II-V7-I Progression . . . LP . . . $16.99 (Item: 46464)

JA, 1978 Condition: Very Good+ View Cart

One of many fine records cut for the Jamey Aebersold label of jazz improvisation/instruction albums -- and one that features some excellent piano work by Dan Haerle. The piano is all acoustic, but it's got a freely soulful feel that makes the album way more than just a jazz instruction album -- and the best cuts have a tight trio groove and lots of nice bass work by Rufus Reid. Titles include "G Minor Blues", "Bebop Tune", "F Blues with An 8 Bar Bridge", "II V7 I", "II V7", and "0 V7 9". (Includes the instruction booklet.)

In all fairness, I haven't heard it, but what say you?

You gotta remember that a key element of Dusty Groove's clientele is the DJ/sampling crowd, so those Aebersolds might have an appeal and usefulness for something besides what "we" can see. This was pointed out to me after I mad a similar "what the hell?" post a while ago on a bulletin board far far away.

One thing's for sure though, anybody who samples Jamey's patented Mid-Western twang-heavy "One...Two...One, Two Three...(silence)" is somebody I'm going to be either very impressed or very frightened by!

Oh, what about the MUSIC? Well, hey - it's an Aebersold playalong record, one of, maybe THE first in a loooonnnnggg series. I used it a bunch early in college. It is what it is. It doesn't NOT swing, and it can make for humorously innocuous background music (Hey, it's the perfect jazz record for people who don't like jazz - all groove and NO SOLOS!!!! :D :D: :D), but other than that, I don't think it would be entertaining to a general jazz audience.

But yeah, it's really good for playing along to, at least until the feeling of playing along with a record starts to become annoying, which it inevitable does.