Box Design sucks Miles/Trane Col. Compl.

I must say. . . none of these box sets really bother me. In the case of the Miles material I know the stuff so well I don't need to see session personnel just a quick glance tells me what disc to put in to find what I want and who the performers are. I'm not in need of every little discographic nuance, and when I do need details I don't mind some browsing to get them. And I never mind chronologicsal presentations with alternates mixed in etc. I can program and skp tracks if I want to. . . .

Guess I just like box sets! Listening to the Complte Miles and Coltrane Columbia todayl Eager for the Cellar Door and the Morton ones!

Yeah, but Lon...I can barely crack that thing open enough to see what's in it. That binding is just plain silly! I don't care a whole lot about reading it...I just download the whole thing into itunes anyway. But why even bother with a booklet if the surrounding packaging forbids reading it.

o.k...I'm officially a nerd...arguing over binding of box sets.... :blush:

The Coltrane Atlantic Box strikes me as an optimal design: sturdy individual cases that fit CD-sized cases, but don't take up quite as much room as normal CDs. Each individual case is very easy to access and contains all discographical and other information. The tape reel design for the early Giant Steps session was also classy.

A secret to good design is to make discographical information available without the thick booklet, especially one with a tight spine. Discographical information is demanded repeatedly, whereas the book is usually a once read and occasional dip.