Barry Harris - Jazz Showcase, Chicago, August 24

Robert J

I am putting this in a separate thread as it is buried in my diary of my trip to Chicago.

I bid farewell to my tired family and took the subway downtown to the Jazz Showcase to see Barry Harris. Man I was excited, and fortified by some great Thai food (Big Bowl) and Honkers ale. It was getting to 10 and I feared I’d be late for the second set and I’d have a bar seat or some other hindrance. As Mark said in another thread I did not have to worry about being late. Nor did I have to worry about a table. The place was practically empty. :o Very sad to see this. In actuality I counted 20 people. I was told it was the same for the first set. Man!

I grabbed a Bass Ale (no Goose Island here) and a table upfront so I could see the master’s hands. There were a few student types hanging out, one had his copy of Sidewinder to sign. Another hovered around the piano – and to his credit – Barry the perennial educator, did show him a scale or two.

The small attendance did not dissuade him and his rhythm section (OK I am a total retard – I cannot name the bass and drummer – there was no program, I was tired from a long day and filled with ale. Suffice it to say they were a good match (Aside: when I paid my $20 at the door, the bartender spoke to the owner/promoter: “The bass player wants to pay for his drink on his credit card” “Well tell him we don’t take plastic – cash only”.)

What can I say – Barry’s a true pleasure to watch. A real harmonic and melodic master. :tup

The tunes I remember were Tea for Two, Cabash, Dance of the Infidels, Like Someone in Love and All the Things You Are. I may be missing one. It seemed like a quick set (1 hour). At the end he told the audience that if we all bring 20 friends the next few days he’s here, he’ll take requests. After he was done, he also was thinking ahead to the weekend (Charlie Parker’s birthday) and what Parker tunes he knew to play. So he gave us an impromptu recollection of his Parker catalogue on the piano, playing the melody, aided by us shouting out some tune names. All the while the huge Parker poster behind the band looked on.

You can tell he wished for a full club. I can’t see a “work night” being the excuse, but maybe I am wrong. I guess I am thinking it is a crying shame that there was only 20 people to see Barry Harris and yet as I later stumbled back to the hotel there were lines of people trying to get into the clubs on Division on a Wednesday night, and Rush street was filled with people everywhere.

I did get to speak with Barry briefly after. I mentioned that I was from Windsor and last saw him perform in 1988 during the Detroit Jazz Festival. He played with a trio at the Renaissance Centre and I caught the second set. It was an emotional gig with lots of his family, friends and fellow musicians in the audience. The set lasted 3 hours as musicians kept opening up their cases and joining the bandstand. He recalled that night. I also told him that because I stayed out late to watch him and the jam session at Cobo Hall I missed the last tunnel bus back to Canada (I had no car) and had to sleep in a bush near the river. He laughed at that. He also invited me to attend his Jazz Clinic in Toronto in November. I guess I should attend when Barry asks! :excited:

The club is quite a nice place, lots of old photos to take in, and it is comfortable and unpretentious. Apparantly they don't frown on excessive water drinking as I saw much of this going with my fellow listeners.

After the show, I walked over to the subway stop and hit Rock Bottom, so to speak. The brew pub mentioned by Skid, Mark, Randy et al. It was more of a college vibe but the bartender – sensing I was a Canadian beer nut – let me sample a few. The stout was disappointing so I ended up with the ale. I gulped it down as there was white rap karaoke going on and I felt really old all of a sudden.

Robert,

Great story about your visit to the Showcase (and your other story regarding your trip to Chicago in general).

It's funny about the Jazz Showcase; I'm to the point I can figure which showswill do well (Holland, Moody, Golson) but there are a lot of great, great musicians that don't seem to pack them in.....Barry Harris is once such musician.

I'm sure the bass player and drummer you saw perform were Eddie DeHaas on bass and LeRoy Williams on drums. Eddie lives in Chicago and usually plays with Barry when he's in town.....he also played with Roy Haynes back in the day (check out a few of them on OJCs). Many times Barry uses Leon Joyce on drums, who I can't handle; arms flying everywhere, not playing anything! LeRoy would have been a few steps up.

Hopefully the next time you make it to Chicago, I'll be able to get into town as well.

Mark

I'd love to see Barry!

...just a thought. I played a jazz club down in San Antonio last night. Haven't played there in a while and there turnout seemed pretty low compared to the past. The club owner said business had been way down since Hurricane Katrina. That and high gas probably ain't helping.

So maybe that's part of it.?

I can't complain that it was "intimate". I was just suprised. Two days earlier at Buddy Guy's club there was easily over 100 people or more (btw - I have some pics of that night, need to scan this weekend). I did not bring my camera to the JS as I can't disengage the flash.

After the gig I went the wrong way to the subway/rock bottom and around the corner to Blue Chicago. That place was packed at 11:30 with live music so it couldn't be lack of bodies in the city. Perhaps Harris was not as well promoted in the local media. A shame.

Mark - I beleive you are right about Eddie DeHaas on bass and LeRoy Williams on drums. I recognized Eddie's name from that night and LeRoy from this pic

lwilliams2003.jpg

Edited by Robert J

I'd love to see Barry!

...just a thought.  I played a jazz club down in San Antonio last night.  Haven't played there in a while and there turnout seemed pretty low compared to the past.  The club owner said business had been way down since Hurricane Katrina.  That and high gas probably ain't helping.

20 people, in a city the size of Chicago, is pretty sad.

...just a thought.  I played a jazz club down in San Antonio last night.  Haven't played there in a while and there turnout seemed pretty low compared to the past.  The club owner said business had been way down since Hurricane Katrina.  That and high gas probably ain't helping.

Not in this instance - this was days before Katrina. A gallon was still about $2.50.

it is a pity

...absolutely! I have been to hundreds of shows at the Showcase and have seen some sad audiences. 15 people for George Coleman but packed for Bill Charlap, 40 people for McPherson and packed for Pharoah Sanders, 12 people for the second Benny Golson show. All the afterfest shows were packed to the gills with Ira Sullivan as host.

There are millions of people in Chicago and while not all (apparently) are fans of jazz, you should be able to put 150 people in there. A $20.00 ticket cost and no drink minimum can't be beat ANYWHERE!

.....a thought on the musician asking for the drink to be put on plastic......Joe does actually accept plastic for drinks but it's "cash only" at the door. Not sure what that was all about. I usually offer to buy some musicians a beverage.....these guys ought to get beverages on the house :P !!!

.....a thought on the musician asking for the drink to be put on plastic......Joe does actually accept plastic for drinks but it's "cash only" at the door.  Not sure what that was all about.  I usually offer to buy some musicians a beverage.....these guys ought to get beverages on the house :P !!!

My thoughts exactly. I was going to buy one for Eddie myself but then the set started and the room cleared out quickly after the gig. I barely had enough time to look at all the photos around.

Now DJ Barry Harris, he could have packed the club. :ph34r:

Hey, I've been to the Vanguard on a weekday and seen pretty pitiful crowds for unbelievable talent (take away the japanese fans, and it'd be even worse). The fault doesn't belong in Chicago...apathetic audiences for jazz is an American problem.

It is a real shame. It's like watching everyone eat at McDonalds when there's a 5 star restaurant across the street for the same price.

Jazz is a niche audience. Just like anything that takes a refined aesthetic or sensibility.

But Barry Harris DOES deserve better. Of course, I wish I was in a place that had such shows.

I've got to think there has to be a better way to market these guys/clubs although I'm not sure what it is....."buy one get one free", "frequent customer cards", "...as seen on tv" stickers on the windows.......I don't know what the answer is; it's sure not the poor quality of the performance keeping people away!

Then again, I have been to hundreds of show and have always sat in the front row....not one time have I ever sat anywhere else......I guess I kinda like it afterall!

m~

Of course, I wish I was in a place that had such shows.

So do I. Toronto closed one of its premiere clubs for international jazz talent a couple of months ago. The Top of the Senator.

That's sad... I visited the club twice during my short visit to Toronto last year. I really liked the club.

Years ago, I lived and worked right in Toronto. The clubs were generally pretty well supported - this would be in the '70's and early '80's. Don't know about now - marriage, a daughter, a home and job in suburbia keep me away for the most part, though I did manage to catch a show or two a year at the Senator.

But I do think the part about the low Canadian dollar vis a vis the US $ is a bunch of hogwash. For one thing, right now the Cdn $ is the strongest it has been in years (good for Mosaic purchases) and for years Canadians have been used to paying a premium to see American artists of any genre.

I think one of the problems is the big summer jazz festivals, which tend to suck the life out of the jazz scene the rest of the year (a problem not unique to Toronto).

Of course, I wish I was in a place that had such shows.

So do I. Toronto closed one of its premiere clubs for international jazz talent a couple of months ago. The Top of the Senator.

That's very sad to hear. I was in there a few times during the year it opened, to see Joe Henderson and Red Rodney. A nice club !

I'm also very sad to read that so few people turned up to the Barry Harris gig. He's an artist who has always eluded me - never had chance to see his occasional London gigs and if I'm in a place like NYC you can bet he'll be gigging the night I depart. He's a consummate professional - too bad he doesn't get the profile of Kenny Barron, great though Kenny is. Maybe there's still time..