Paul Motian, Joe Lovano, Bill Frisell

LWayne

Last week while in town for business, I was fortunate to be able to catch this legendary trio at the Village Vanguard. While this was the second week that the group was in residency at the Vanguard, I was still somewhat surprised at how crowded the venue was for the first show on Tuesday, September 13th. Good thing that we arrived early to beat the crowd as we were rewarded with a small table about six feet from the stage.

The trio immediately launched into a wonderful version of a classic Monk tune “Crepuscule with Nellie” which I have always enjoyed. The live rendering of this song was even more vibrant than the familiar version on the “Monk in Motian” CD. The melding of Joe Lovano’s rich tone on tenor along with the exacting brushwork and judicious use of the cymbals by Paul Motian along with the atmospheric fills of Bill Frisell on guitar have to be heard live to appreciate. From there the evening just got better.

While I was so caught up in the events of the evening that I did not take note of all the songs played, I was nonetheless impressed by the inclusion of several selections from the new Paul Motian CD “I Have The Room Above Her”. I believe the titles were “Osmosis” and “Dance”. The hour long set of familiar standards, Monk tunes, and new songs all worked very well together.

Didn’t anybody else get a set list for this show?

This was about as close as you can get to a perfect night of jazz IMHO. Listening to a trio at the top of their game in a legendary club with lots of charisma. Doesen’t get better than this.

LWayne

:D

The trio immediately launched into a wonderful version of a classic Monk tune “Crepuscule with Nellie” which I have always enjoyed.  The live rendering of this song was even more vibrant than the familiar version on the “Monk in Motian” CD.

On MiM they don't solo on this tune, whereas various live versions I've heard feature solos by Lovano & Frisell. So yeah, it gets a big thumbs-up from me too!

Guy

Edited by Guy

Glad you enjoyed them LWayne, I did too.

Hey Guy you mean that Monk himself is soloing on Paul Motian Trio albums :P

whoops

by way, what live PMT albums exist other than "Sound of Love" (that's the Vanguard one) and "Live in Tokyo" - I am not aware of any others

There's the other Vanguard album on JMT, which I haven't heard but is getting reissued by W&W in a few weeks. In addition there are quite a few unofficial recordings of this group (+ guests on occasion) from 1983 to 2003 floating around. Several of the later ones feature "Crepescule with Nellie". (And they've also done it a few times when I've seen the group at the Vanguard.)

Sound of Love is DAMN GOOD (even relative to the other JMT/W&W I've heard, and those aren't too shabby), so I can't wait to hear the companion volume. How is the Tokyo disc?

Guy

Edited by Guy