"No Direction Home"

jazzbo

Joan's language was absolutely gratuitous. But unfortunately, that's what she said and how she said it. If someone asked her to make her point without those words, yes, I think it could be easily done.

But no one did and dealing with this *after* the fact just doesn't work. The bleeping got to be so intrusive I could barely tell what she was saying - three or four in a sentence.

As for Allen's comment on her singing - actually, I'm not a very big fan of Baez, but the stuff in the film was *more* appealing to me than what was in my memory and made me want to dig out what I've got and buy more!

Mike

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike - didn't know you had moved - I should have guessed from your recent thing with Krin about Miles -

just want to add something here - I taped and am halfway through part two - I found, in particular, Dylan's remarks to the Emergency Civil Liberties Union repugnant, and reflective of what a jerk he could be - the ECLU was an organization formed to fight McCarthyism during the 1950s when the ACLU backed down and chickened out - it was formed by people who put their entire livelihoods on the line to stand up to McCarthy - to make it seem like they were using Dylan or wanted to control him speaks to the ignorance of his whole hipster ethos - these were people who risked more than he (or Ginsberg or Rutolo) ever risked, and to reduce them to a bunch of guys losing their hair bespeaks an ignorance that is beneath contempt -

also, one major problem with this doc, and maybe it'll change in that last hour - where the hell is Phil Ochs in all this? They talk about protest and a generation and never mention the man (except once, and only peripherally) who was probably the greatest topical songwriter ever?

Edited by AllenLowe