Great interview with Charlie Hunter on AAJ

Well, beyond his obvious technical prowess and the fact that he basically created a new way of playing (not unlike Jimmy Smith), I think what he's doing in the trio and quartet format is very cool... taking simple rhythms and building up complex polyrhythmic tunes, but in a unique way. He always finds really great drummers, guys that make a duo (Hunter and the drummer) sound like four people. Also, if you listen to the lines he writes for horns, he's very McDuffish. Odd harmonies, instruments playing intervals that they normally wouldn't play within a chord...

I also think his writing is very unique and I love the fact that he composes so much of his own material. And the material isn't just blues forms and rhythm changes and shit like that. Its different. That is something sorely lacking in modern day jazz.

Maybe genius is too strong of a word, but I definately think he's brilliant.

Gotta check out some of his more recent stuff. Saw him once with (and once without) two sax players and it made a huge difference imho. Great horn lines like you mentioned and spirited playing from both. It's been years since I've checked his stuff out and will again soon. Thanks for the endorsement Jim. I don't take that recommendation lightly.... :D

Well, beyond his obvious technical prowess and the fact that he basically created a new way of playing (not unlike Jimmy Smith), I think what he's doing in the trio and quartet format is very cool... taking simple rhythms and building up complex polyrhythmic tunes, but in a unique way.  He always finds really great drummers, guys that make a duo (Hunter and the drummer) sound like four people.  Also, if you listen to the lines he writes for horns, he's very McDuffish.  Odd harmonies, instruments playing intervals that they normally wouldn't play within a chord...

I also think his writing is very unique and I love the fact that he composes so much of his own material.  And the material isn't just blues forms and rhythm changes and shit like that.  Its different.  That is something sorely lacking in modern day jazz. 

Maybe genius is too strong of a word, but I definately think he's brilliant.

You forgot one thing.....

Charlie%20Hunter%202.jpg

.... he makes some really cool guitar faces. :D Seriously, Jim's characterization is spot on IMO.