Philly Named "Next Great City" By Nat'l Geographic

Ron S

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Alison!

Jim probably won't let you have an account of your own because he doesn't want you around us crazies! :crazy:

But seriously, though, as you may already know, I've been lobbying Jim and Greg big-time to get them to come play in Philly, and I'm glad to know there's someone working on them behind the scenes. :tup

I think the safety and homeless situations in Center City have improved tremendously since you were here. You may remember that they had started the Center City Special Services District (a joint project between businesses and the City) about the time you were here, and that, along with MAJOR residential development in Center City, has done a lot to improve safety. For one thing, there just are a lot more people on the streets in the evenings and on weekends these days, and even more are coming. If you haven't been here since '94, I think you'll find when you get back here that things have improved quite a bit since then. You should check out that National Geographic Traveler article if you haven't already. Although I posted the on-line version in this thread, I'm planning to pick up a hard copy of the issue for the photos.

Incidentally, I had a law firm right off Rittenhouse Square at 20th and Locust from '91-'93, so I may have seen you on the street!

I look forward to meeting you when the guys finally play here. Lets you and I keep up the pressure to get them here!

And tell Jim to let you have your own account on the Board. He can trust us! (Well, at least MOST of us. :P )

Alison here again...I have to use Jim's account since he won't let me have my own...

What's up with that? :rfr

Well, I'm not sure if I should say he won't let me, but isn't it an IP address thing? I really don't know. I guess I probably could, but instead I spend most of my time just watching you all and listening to Jim talk about everything on the Board all the time, I hardly need to post.

As for trying to get the guys to Philly, I am all for it! I'm glad to see the City's picking back up again. And by the way Ron S, I worked at the Banana Republic on Walnut & 18th.

AA

Only spent any "real time" in Philly once and the lasting memory of a long walk was the stench while walking through the city hall courtyard and arches.

The only "urban experience" to top this was homeless guys taking dumps in the shrubs of the Boston Commons. :bad:

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Only spent any "real time" in Philly once and the lasting memory of a long walk was the stench while walking through the city hall courtyard and arches.

Believe it or not, they've been spending $120 million to clean up city hall. It really is a magnificent building--the largest municipal building in the U.S. and the largest and tallest masonry building in the world.

The only "urban experience" to top this was homeless guys taking dumps in the shrubs of the Boston Commons. :bad:

See? It ain't just Philly with these kinds of problems. :rolleyes:

Ok, finally having a chance to chime in about Philly. Now I have spent the better half of the past 9 years living hear and I spent this past summer as a trolley tour guide w/ Philadelphia Trolley Works (NOT the F*#$ing Ducks, mind you :crazy: ) I had to study a historical binder about an inch thick. I knew Philly was historic but SHOOT!!!

Philly may have it's problems like any other major city but don't get put off by those things.

Come to Philly knowing that you are in a city of firsts! The first college in US! (University of PA), the first zoo in the nation! (Phila Zoo), the first hospital in the Western Hemisphere(PA Hospital) The LARGEST collection of original colonial dwellings in the nation, in the Society Hill section. You can't forget the museums. The third largest collection of artwork in the nation at the Phila Museum of Art. How about the largest collection of Rodin sculpture outside of Paris at the Rodin museum?

Are you aware that Philly was once a major beer brewing capital in the 1800's and once boasted 150 beer breweries? How about the first penitentiary system at Eastern State? A harrowing and frightening medieval castle right on Fairmount Avenue, opened up in 1829. Such a rich tradition of art and architectural, too. From boasting over 2000 beautiful and expressive murals, to being the home of the PA Academy of Fine Arts, to having the beautiful Ben Franklin parkway, modeled after the Champs U'lleses(sp?) in Paris.

Music? How about McCoy Tyner, Trane, Billie Holiday, Lee Morgan, Grover Washington Jr., Patti LaBelle, Heath Brothers, Christian McBride, Jimmy Smith, Gamble & Huff.

Don't even get me started with food. You can spend a week eating your way around and barely make a dent because you're constantly discovering somewhere new. Come on, go to Jim's on South Street and order 'an American With' , was it down with a Hires Root Beer(invented in Phila) You'll be happy you did.

Come to Philly to experience the history, food, art, architecture, etc. But PLEASE don't compare it to NY or any other city that might have XYZ over our city. It cheapens and taints the experience, and you'd probably be better off going home.

Hey Jim A, did you guys try to get in touch with Ortlieb's. Might be a great venue for the trio. I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Alison here again...I have to use Jim's account since he won't let me have my own...

Anyhow, I lived in Philly for 2 1/2 years. At 18 I graduated high school in mid-Michigan and decided to live in Center City Philadelphia to attend art school. I had never been there in my life. I lived alone on 13th St between Pine and Spruce and walked everywhere! I worked downtown off Rittenhouse Sq., went to South St., The Reading Terminal, the Museum, movies, dinner, you name it.

I was also scared out of my mind the minute I was out alone after dark and walked around with a dagger-like safety pin in my hand at all times. Every college friend I had who lived in the City was mugged except me. But, I also have to say that I loved that town so much and think of it constantly. The food, the music, the architecture, the shopping, and events can keep a person perfectly happy.

The homeless population, back when I lived there (91-94), was out of control. I was aware when a certain person was missing off the street after a couple long hard winter weeks. The faces became so familiar...almost like store owners'. The panhandling then was take-it-or-leave-it. It never seemed to bother me. Until the day when I decided to give a person my leftovers from my dinner out with friends on the way home. The man, whose sign read that he was starving I might add, threw my food on the ground when I offered it. I've been scarred ever since.

I recommend everyone visit Philly at least once. It is beautiful and fun. I was there when they were making the movie Philadelphia and my neighbor was an actor in it and I still feel a deep connection to the town. I hope to return someday. If the trio plays there, I will go!

Thanks for letting me chime in when Jimmy's not around  :)

Hi Alison!

Jim probably won't let you have an account of your own because he doesn't want you around us crazies! :crazy:

But seriously, though, as you may already know, I've been lobbying Jim and Greg big-time to get them to come play in Philly, and I'm glad to know there's someone working on them behind the scenes. :tup

I think the safety and homeless situations in Center City have improved tremendously since you were here.  You may remember that they had started the Center City Special Services District (a joint project between businesses and the City) about the time you were here, and that, along with MAJOR residential development in Center City, has done a lot to improve safety.  For one thing, there just are a lot more people on the streets in the evenings and on weekends these days, and even more are coming.  If you haven't been here since '94, I think you'll find when you get back here that things have improved quite a bit since then.  You should check out that National Geographic Traveler article if you haven't already.  Although I posted the on-line version in this thread, I'm planning to pick up a hard copy of the issue for the photos.

Incidentally, I had a law firm right off Rittenhouse Square at 20th and Locust from '91-'93, so I may have seen you on the street!

I look forward to meeting you when the guys finally play here.  Lets you and I keep up the pressure to get them here!

And tell Jim to let you have your own account on the Board.  He can trust us!  (Well, at least MOST of us. :P )

Okay... I've lived in Philly since '85. West Philly until '92. Lived at 21st and Spruce from 92-95 and from '95 until now at 13th and Rodman. So I have a feeling that I must have crossed paths w/ both of you at one time or another.

I've seen a lot of changes over the years. West Pihilly back in the mid 80's was known for REALLY cheap housing. Then the crack epidemic hit and it got really unsafe out there. After my apartment had been robbed for the 2nd time I moved downtown just off "THE Square". The 3 years that I lived there were a pretty bad time for Center City. Lots of homeless people, a rape/murder @21st & Pine that was never solved. Jobs and residents feeling the city in droves.

It was around this time that the Center City District was born and Rendell started cracking down on agressive panhandling. '95 saw the bottoming out of the real estate market. I bought a "fixer upper" on Rodman for under $40k. Not too longer after that Rendell announced his "Avenue of the Arts"vision which was to turn south Broad Street into a mecca for performing arts. A new home for the Philadelphia Orchestra was built (The Kimmel Center) which signaled the beginning of the Center City renaissance. The past 8 years or so have seen a 180 degree change in Philly quality of life issues. Crime is way down. Tons of new restaurants have opened along w/ national retail chains. We're even getting a hip, upscale bowling alley at Broad and Chestnut in a few months. Real estate has really taken off. 2 homes on my block both sold for over $400K last year. Ka-ching! There is a huge amount of development, surpassing the urban renewal of the 60's that gave us Society Hill. Other neighborhoods have done well too. West Philly, thanks in a large part to the University of Pennsylvania(which is actually the 4th oldest schoool in the USA) spearheading redevelopment, is now a hot spot to dine, shop, and live. Manayunk, Old City, Northern Liberties, and the Art Museum/Fairmount are some of the most swinging-est places you can be. The city is also on track to become the first major city in the US to offer free wireless internet. Pretty cool.

But there is still much work to be done. Jobs/residents are still leaving the city, albeit, at a much slower rate. Taxes (wage, business, & real estate) are hurting development as is the hopelessly out dated zoning code. Cronyism is still the name of the game at Cith Hall. Schools still need a dedicated source of funding(test scores/graduation rates are up).

All in all, Philly is a great place to live, and thanks to Ron the secret is out. :)

Okay... I've lived in Philly since '85.

Ahhh, so you missed the good ol' Rizzo days. :wub::bad:

And you arrived right when the city government was dropping bombs on inner city row homes, burning down entire neighborhoods, and shooting people who were trying to escape.

Ahhh, the sweet SWEET memories I have of Philadelphia. The Phillies won it all in 1980 but we were so poor they turned off our electricity the night they won it all. What a beautiful thing to have happen to a 10 year old baseball fanatic.

It's a nice place to visit (my mom still lives there), but I will never EVER live there again. To much racism, pollution, corruption and poverty. I'm raising my son where the air is clean, the schools are good and the people are nice to one another, thank you very much.