Bill Evans Village Vanguard 3 Disc Box

Peter

I recently purchased the new 3 disc reissue of Bill Evan's  Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961 with Scott LaFaro & Paul Motion.  Disc 1, Track 2 skips in both my office & car CD players.  Has anyone had similar problems?  Thanks.

Is it at 1:07 - 1:10 of Gloria's Step (which is the 2nd track)?

That's not a skip but a problem during the recording process. Note the parenthesis after the song title is "(take 1, interrupted.)" The silence is the interruption.

This is my 1st upgrade with the material and I'm in love all over again. :wub:

. . . and it allows you to take one good deep breath before all the breath-taking music to come.

Lon, next time I get some lemons, I'm sending them to you to make lemonade. :P

Can anybody comment on the sound of this set compared to the 20-bit K2's of "Sunday" and "Waltz"? Is it identical, better, worse?

I was able to compare material between this and the XRCD of Sundays last. . . Sunday at a friend's.

They were "different". . . not really one better than another. (My honest assessment.) The instrumental balance was a little different (more center fill in the XRCD) and tonally the XRCD was brighter, crisper, more forward seeming to me.

as mentioned in the other thread, the 3CD Box is the same mix as on the Fantasy K2's ....

Cheers, Tjobbe

I understand that's what's been written, but I read a review on Amazon, I believe, in which the reviewer was adamant in his opinion that the sound of the box is much better than the original US 20-bit K2's of the 2 separate discs. I was just wondering if anyone here has actually A-B'd them and can serve as a reality-check on that reviewer. :huh:

as mentioned in the other thread, the 3CD Box is the same mix as on the Fantasy K2's ....

Cheers, Tjobbe

I understand that's what's been written, but I read a review on Amazon, I believe, in which the reviewer was adamant in his opinion that the sound of the box is much better than the original US 20-bit K2's of the 2 separate discs. I was just wondering if anyone here has actually A-B'd them and can serve as a reality-check on that reviewer. :huh:

strange, but ok....I personally have not A-B'd them but just checking the liner notes, comments, people and dates, it appears that it is one and the same remastering session. as that was something I was trying to find out when I got that box after the german release was out for sale (which was basically the japanese box with some additional german label tapped on).

Cheers, Tjobbe

EDIT: just to be sure... the box is advertised in Germany as 20Bit K2 remaster from 2002, so I would bet they have not remastered that again for the US market.....

Edited by tjobbe

Cheers, Tjobbe

strange, but ok....I personally have not A-B'd them but just checking the liner notes, comments, people and dates, it appears that it is one and the same remastering session. as that was something I was trying to find out when I got that box after the german release was out for sale (which was basically the japanese box with some additional german label tapped on).

Cheers, Tjobbe

EDIT: just to be sure... the box is advertised in Germany as 20Bit K2 remaster from 2002, so I would bet they have not remastered that again for the US market.....

Well, the 20-bit K2 of "Waltz" was issued in 2000 and indicates mastering by "Shigeo Miyamoto under supervision of Tamaki Beck for JVC Studios," and the 20-bit K2 of "Sunday" was issued in 2001 and indicates mastering by "Tamaki Beck for JVC Studios." While it seems logical that the tracks on these 2 CD's would not have been remastered again for the 2002 Japanese/European/now-American box set, a Japanese reviewer of the 2002 box set had this to say on Amazon:

Yes, this boxed set presents MUCH better sound quality than previously released K-2 coded Sunday at Village Vanguard ("SVV") and Waltz for Debby ("WFD") CDs. It is my guess but this is because;

a) This boxed set is produced from the original tapes that were actually used to record sessions at Village Vanguard, not from the master tapes compiled and edited for SVV and WFD. These master tapes are one generation after the original tapes.

b) Those original tapes are in much better shape (perhaps used once for Complete Riverside Recording after the release of SVV and WFD and only partially for later CD issues which added several out-takes from LPs) than those master tapes that were used over and over for a series of past releases of the same materials.

Full Amazon review

So that's the reason for my persistent inquiries as to whether anyone has compared the sound of the 2002 box with the earlier 20-bit K2's of "Sunday" and "Waltz". I don't know whether that review is based in fact but, as I said before, the reviewer seems pretty adamant that the sound of the 2002 box is "MUCH better" than the earlier 20-bit K2's.