"The M squad" soundtrack album

In my search for anything that Frank Rosolino played a solo on, I picked up this LP recently. It is the soundtrack from an old tv detective show (starring Lee Marvin) called "M Squad". Recorded in 1959, on RCA Victor.

It is performed by the NBC studio orchestra, all big band and pretty good stuff.

Musical director is Stanley Wilson, with co-composers Benny Carter and Johnny Williams (probably not the John Williams, but who knows)

I remember hearing this one frequently when I was a kid- my dad liked it a lot. I haven't heard it in years- is there much blowing in general, specifically by Frank?

M_Squad_74321433972.jpg

On side one there are three solos by Frank, but none on the flipside. There is some nice alto work by Ted Nash too. Very good writing all around.

The Fresh Sound reissue LP I have lists the following personnel for the album:

Benny Carter (as), Pete Candoli, Frank Beach, Maurice Harris, Don Fagerquist (tp), Frank Rosolino, Pete Carpenter, Joe Howard, George Roberts (tb), John T. Williams (p) Red Mitchell or Joe Mondragon (b), Alvin Stoller (dr).

Recorded in Hollywood, March 1, 1959

Arrangers: Benny Carter, John T. Williams and Pete Carpenter.

Conducted by Stanley Wilson.

FFA, I thought about that!  I don't have an opinion, so I wouldn't argue about it, but I think it would be fair to say that Slide would really have to be a completist for Rosolino to buy this album for the trombone solos.  Maybe he is!

I think he's obsessed enough to do just that! I know I am.

Too few Rosolino recordings out there, you need to grab every scrap you can. :crazy:

I think I have a vinyl copy that my father gave me. I've never listened to it. I told him I wanted his albums when he dies and he gave them to me a bit earlier. I always pulled out the Buddy Rich/Gene Krupa one with the two of them playing drums on the cover. The drumsets overlap, right, meaning it's two pictures overlapping?

I have found my CD, and there is no listing of personnel other than arrangers Benny Carter, John T. Williams and Pete Carpenter, and conductor Stanley Wilson.

Slide, how can you be sure that the solos are by Rosolino and not Pete Carpenter?

I see I don't get in here as often as i have in the past!

Frank's style was so very distinctive. His tone and approach to solos is so personal. I have never heard anyone come close to sounding anything like him. Sure, there are those players who have his turns and other facets of his style down, but there is no cloning him.

Other jazz bone players are easier to model. Carl Fontana comes to mind. (no offence intended to Carl's legacy or towards his devotees...I am a big fan of Carl myself, but his technique is easier to get a handle on. And by saying that I am in no way implying it is easy to cop his solos. But his bag is easier to imitate than Frank's.

All that said, the most distinct facet of any soloist's style is his sound.