Los Angeles Jazz Institute’s Jazz West Coast 3

graaspiano

I went to hear the concert of my uncle John Graas' music but I gained so much more - I was surprised that Paul Horn, Herb Geller, Chico Hamilton, Bud Shank and others could still play so well! I loved hearing Holly Hofmann. The John Graas concert included Richard Todd on French horn, Bill Mays on piano, Joe La Barbera on drums, Putter Smith on bass, Jeff Driskill and Phil Feather on saxes. The audience jumped up with an enthusiastic standing ovation. It's hard for me to be objective about John's music, but many people were blown away by the concert - even though John played with the best people of the 50s, I don't know if it was the recording quality back then, but this concert sounded much better than the old recordings. The panel discussions, films, and other concerts were outstanding. I'm really glad I went.

John Graas. . . Brings back memories. In the 50s, I wrote about a dozen composer-arrangers, telling them I was a young musician who was starting up a jazz group and asking if they could donate music to the cause. I heard only from Bill Russo and John Graas. John was kind enough to send me autograpphed copies of "Allegretto" and "Andante." Yes, I still have them!

My group never performed them, but they didn't go to waste. By a little "reverse engineering," I made scores from the parts and learned something about writing for small jazz groups. Thanks, John. (I hope I had the savy to thank him!)

I heard only from Bill Russo and John Graas.  John was kind enough to send me autograpphed copies of "Allegretto" and "Andante."  Yes, I still have them!  My group never performed them, but they didn't go to waste.  By a little "reverse engineering," I made scores from the parts and learned something about writing for small jazz groups.  Thanks, John.  (I hope I had the savy to thank him!)

Wow? That's a neat story about John. I have been hearing quite a few nice things John did like writing back to fans, etc., but that was very generous of him!