Vinson Hill Trio

robviti

can anyone describe, review, or just comment on this release on the savoy label?

Vinson Hill Trio

Vinson Hill (p) Ronnie Markowitz (b) John Lee (d)

April 11, 1966

Night and Day Sav. MG 12187

Pokes Theme -

Indian Spiritual -

Bess -

Lavender's Theme -

Young and Foolish -

After -

Rubato Jazz -

* Vinson Hill Trio (Sav. MG 12187)

thanks in advance, m-kay? mackey.gif

Don't know any of the players, but any piano trio recorded in 1966 is bound to be at least half-interesting. Looking forward to feedback from others here about it.

Anybody know if it's ever been on CD?? Yup, it has. Cheaper (and in stock) at Red Trumpet.

What's the cover look like??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

OK, now this is starting to bug me. Can't seem to find out anything solid about Vinson Hill. Been through three or four pages of Google hits. Looks like he's written some beginning jazz instruction books (if it's the same guy), but I can't find anything even remotely biographical about him.

Anybody own this thing?? Any clues in the notes??

That's the guy. Why don't you give him a call -

Vinson Hill

Jazz Piano, Jazz History

Office: Shea Auditorium, Room 167

Phone: (973) 720-3469

Education: BA, Dartmouth College. Performances: Solo pianist and trio settings with artists such as Michael Moore, Joe LaBarbera, Mel Lewis, Eugene Wright, and others. Concerts at Symphony Space, solo piano at Hanratty’s and Mikell’s in New York City and the Arrowwood Conference Center in Purchase, NY. Currently performing in a duo with pianist Derek Smith. Recordings: Savoy, twelve recordings on the Music Minus One label in the areas of jazz history, jazz improvisation, and popular piano, many now re-released on compact disc.. WP [William Paterson University, Wayne, NJ] faculty since 1972.

Mike

Several tracks like 'Lavender's Theme' and 'Night & Day' have that fleet-fingered Andre Previn flavor to 'em like something off of "Gigi" or "Like Previn!". A couple of others remind me of something from Don Friedman......or a Friedman clone. If Freidman had ever produced a "A Day in the City, Volume 2" LP, 'Rubato Jazz' would have been on it. "Indian Spiritual" is the one heavy, plodding number on the Hill Trio that I don't much care for. Not a bad cd, but not one I'd conduct a mad search for. I slap this one on every now and then in order to hear the bass player on the first two tracks I mentioned. When he kicks in, I turn up the volume and get happy. :)