Von Freeman in Philadelphia

alankin

To a packed house of 20 people!!!  :D

Which would still beat two shows I saw in the 70's here in Philly. Juju (nice group that recorded for Strata-East) pulled about a dozen people at the Ethical Society (promoter, if I remember his name correctly, was Leo Gadsen. He brought some really nice shows to that venue including Jazz Messengers and Jackie McLean and Hannibal Peterson/George Adams, but likely didn't make a penny on them). And, just to show the state of things then, in 1976 or 1977, Andrew Hill played a solo concert at, I think, the Walnut Street Theatre, and 14 people came. I couldn't believe it. Empty Foxhole Cafe, with like $5 tickets back then, had trouble pulling 200 people for Archie Shepp, for Richie Cole/Eddie Jefferson, for Cecil Taylor, for the Heath Brothers, for Clifford Jordan. Things seemed a bit better at some of the shows in the 90's here (less venues for sure, which may have helped individual shows), but Billy Harper and Mingus Dynasty (Jack Walrath-led) each had trouble pulling 200-300 people to the Painted Bride Art Center, my favorite venue in the city, with $15-$20 tickets. I haven't been to the Verizon Center yet, would like to see it once, but won't be doing so at $41 a pop.

I saw a LOT of shows at the Bride in the 90's. Attendence was always hit or miss. There are many factors as to why a show doesn't sell many tix besides price. For example, you have to factor in that when they have an artist play at the Bride they do 2 shows a night. I was at the Mingus Dynasty show that you mentioned and the first show was well attended and the 2nd one had not sold many tickets so they let everyone who wanted to, stay for the late show for free. The last time Jackie Mac played there in the winter of '97(?) he sold out both of his shows. I think tix were $20 And it snowed about a half foot that night. I had to sit on the floor in front of the stage it was so packed.

I was shocked that they booked Von at the Kimmel. Regardless of the price, he''s just that not that big of a name. I think they would have trouble filling it even it was a free show. The Bride should have got him. I have to admit that my first thought was that the Kimmel would never sell that many tickets at that price. I guess they figured that they had sold out the Wayne Shorter and Ornette Coleman shows w/ tix topping out in the $60-$70 range so that this would be an easy sell in the smaller hall for a cheaper ticket.

Anyway, I hoping the show will do well. I know that they sold out of their alotment of 1/2 priced tickets.

That Mingus Dynasty show was both sad (Don Pullen and George Adams had to cancel, Adams because he was terminally ill) and stunning (their replacements were John Hicks and a pre-Warners Joshua Redman. Redman was incredible, the whole show was amazing). We had tickets to the McLean show that night and had to stay home and eat the tickets because we couldn't get into the city because of the snow.

Edited by felser

That Mingus Dynasty show was both sad (Don Pullen and George Adams had to cancel, Adams because he was terminally ill) and stunning (their replacements were John Hicks and a pre-Warners Joshua Redman.  Redman was incredible, the whole show was amazing).  We had tickets to the McLean show that night and had to stay home and eat the tickets because we couldn't get into the city because of the snow.

Damn I forgot about Pullen/Adams canceling. You know I never got to see either of them play live :( I do remember Redman being introduced and thinking,"This kid is a student at HARVARD??? Wow." I had tix to see the early show of the McLean show(this was one of the rare times that they kicked everyone out after the first show before it became di regular) Anyway, at one point during one of his solos Jackie hit a bad note. I mean really bad clam and the whole audience let out a collective,"Ugh". Jackie waved to stop the band and then went to the the microphone and said,"What? I know I made a mistake...." and then berated(jokingly) the audience for a minute or two. After he was done he counted "2,3,4" and the band launched back into the same tune and completed his solo. Hilarious.

Are you going to any of the Ancient To The Future shows??? Some of them are free and some will have 1/2 price tix available.

Great stuff on McLean! I'm not familiar with many of the artists in the Ancient to the Future series, I'll have to research them. Would really have liked to get to Sunny Murray to catch Khan Jamal and Odean Pope. Planning to catch Eric Alexander at the Philly Art Museum on 11/18.

Edited by felser

Great concert.

I rode down with Ron S. and met Chalupa at intermission. We estimated that attendance was in the range of 350-450.

I think the venue usually programs two 45 minute sets with a short intermission. Von's first set was over ninety minutes long -- I don't think he wanted to stop!

It was Von's first Philadelphia gig. It was also his first meeting with Philly drummer Mickey Roker. Von was impressed with his playing.

I stopped by the autograph line after the concert and mentioned Chuck Nessa. Von sounded happy to hear Chuck's name and said he was a great guy.

Hey Alan it was great meeting you and Ron last night at the show. :)

Vonski was great last night. Watching him play and listening to him talk between numbers you sometimes forget that he's 83! He seems at least 10 years younger - very coherent and full of energy. His playing is very fluid, his fingers were flying at what would be a fast pace for a man half his age. The music was pretty much straight ahead bop - no excursions into the stratosphere but every now and then Von would start to veer off though he managed to stay on course. Regardless, they sounded pretty tight. Maybe that had something to do with all of the standards("Night in Tunsia", "Take the A Train", etc.) which they have probably both played hundreds of times. I'm wondering if that(thechoice of known standards) had something to do w/ the fact that this was the first time they had ever played together. Mickey was playing his ass off all night long. They were definitely enjoying the chance to play w/ each other. Every time Von or Mickey would take a solo they would yell something back and forth at each other and crack up at the same time. It was almost as if they were testing each other, like two prize fighters looking for their opponets weak spot and laughing when they realized that they were not going to out fox the other one. Von and Mickey were complimented nicely by guitarist Mike Alleman and bassist Matthew Ferguson. Alleman was especially good I thought and I would go and see him again if he ever comes back to town. After the first set Mickey and Von came out and gave a little talk(with Danilo Perez) about how they both grew up which was hilarious. I would have paid just to hear them talk about the old days, they were so entertaining. Vonski is a real character. He was wearing his White Sox World Series Champs button all night. The whole thing was taped and will be broadcast on the local jazz radio station in the future. Can't wait for that.

Oh and I woud say the crowd was over 400. I was in the upper balcony for the first set and I only counted 4 empty seats. So that would be about 120 right there.

Edited by Chalupa

It's alway easy to underestimate Von.  :)

. . . and Philly Jazz fans. :P

Just to expand a bit on a couple of things Alan and Chalupa said:

1. I was with Alan when he mentioned Chuck Nessa to Von (we stood in a LONG line of fans waiting for Von's autograph). Von truly lit up when Alan mentioned Chuck's name and, in addition to saying that Chuck's a great guy, said something to the effect that Chuck had given him his start, that we should be sure to tell Chuck he said hello, and that we should tell Chuck that he should come visit Von and that "he knows where I live!" It was obvious that Von has very warm feelings for Chuck.

2. The crowd was not only relatively large (especially compared to the low expectations of a certain moderator of this Board :rolleyes:), but also gave Von a warm and enthusiastic response. It's amazing that this was the first time Von had ever performed in Philly. Hopefully with the enthusiastic reception he received, he'll come back. I know of at least 3 people in the audience (and I'm sure many others) who would love to see him again.

It was a great show, and those of you who get to see Von regularly in Chicago are very lucky. :tup

It was also great to meet Chalupa and to see Alan again! (Thanks again for the ride, Alan. :) )