David S. Ware / Henry Grimes at Iridium

I was at Thursday evening's Ware/Grimes double bill. I was a little apprehensive because it was the first free jazz gig I'd ever attended. Anyway...

Grimes's group (which was the first performance of each set) consisted of him, a pianist (don't remember the name), altoist Rob Brown, trumpeter Roy Campbell, and and drummer Michael Thompson. The first set consisted of two collective improvs of the kind that you'd hear on a 60s ESP session. This kind of energy music is hit and miss with me -- if the soloists generate enough heat, it can be exciting, but otherwise it falls flat. I thought their first set was pretty disappointing and was not especially impressed with either Brown or Campbell.

Ware's first set, on the other hand, was outstanding. I have a couple of Ware CDs, nothing more recent than Dao, and I like them, but the group sounds pretty unrelenting on those records. It seems like group has achieved a much better dynamic balance since then while maintained the high level of intensity. Shipp and Parker are phenomenal players, in total command of the instruments and the music. And Ware was great, though he seemed a little grumpy during the first set. Guillermo Brown didn't do much for me -- he did his job but was completely overshadowed by the other three.

Apparently the Ware performance energized Grimes's quintet, because they were much, much better for the second set. They started with a slow, modal number which made me completely re-evaluate Campbell's playing. Afterwards they launched into a collective improv that started with a great Campbell solo, then a Rob Brown solo which was really freakin' intense (with Grimes and Thompson absolutely terrific in support), and then finally reminded us that "this one goes to 11" when Campbell joined in for a few minutes of high energy screaming. Whew.... it was awesome. I noticed that a couple of people had their fingers in their ears during this part -- I wonder whether it was because they were surprised at the uncompromising music (just happened to walk into the Iridium to catch some late evening jazz) or simply because the group was so loud!*

Ware closed the evening with another great set. It seemed like he was a bit more upbeat, though it's hard to tell. These performances have convinced me to expand my Ware collection. What should I get next?

*The crowd was interesting. Typical Iridium, with more indie types than usual. I was surprised at how many guys brought their girlfriends/wives to the performance -- hopefully this won't result in too many break-ups. :D

Thanks for the review Guy. I saw this billing when I was looking for music over the 4th of July weekend. I missed it by a few days...

I don't own any David S. Ware recordings so any recommendations would be appreciated. By the way, didn't Susie Ibarra drum for this group originally? Why did she leave the group? Guillermo isn't the first drummer that comes to mind when filling Ibarra's spot.

How was Grimes' playing? Did he seem fairly composed? Did he get a warm reception?

How was Grimes' playing? Did he seem fairly composed? Did he get a warm reception?

He played fairly well; nothing earth shattering, but that might have been because it was not (I assume) a working group.

As for his composure, he looked a little uncomfortable, to tell you the truth. It's not surprising, considering the circumstances. I wonder what will happen with him once the current hubbub calms down and he's no longer "the recently rediscovered Henry Grimes".

Finally, the reception. It didn't seem like a lot of people at the Iridium knew who he was, plus the music was not especially accessible. There was applause after his sets, but not as much as after Ware's performances.

Guy

I was there for the first night. I agree that there was a pretty big difference between the two groups, but it must be remembered that Ware has had almost the exact same quartet (only the drummer has changed) since 1990! That's over 13 years with Shipp and Parker. Compared to Henry who had a few days before the gig to rehearse with new guys that he had only met when he came to NYC in late May. He had played with Rob Brown at the Vision Festival in an impromptu moment, a trio with William Parker. The Ware quartet has a repertoire and is *tight*!

Ware may also have had the benefit of better sound system, sound check, etc. There were some difficulties in miking Henry the night that I was there. He wasn't using an amp, while Parker was. As for the reception, Ware is far more established on the scene and has a following. I'm pretty sure his group was actually booked for the club before Henry came back. Henry is definitely a shy person - I think this was the first time *ever* that he'd ever been billed as the leader of a group for a NYC club.

Please don't think that I am downplaying the fact that the Ware band played wonderfully. Matthew Shipp is so good.

Important to know that Henry was selling CDs of the amazing finale of the WKCR-FM Henry Grimes festival - the *full* hourlong solo bass performance, not just the 40 minutes that went out over the air. This CD is an absolute collectors item and features hand-drawn art by Henry. Each copy is different. When Henry's website is a little more operational, these may be available to a wider market. I listened to it on the way home from the gig. It's remarkable.

Mike

Guest Chaney

Important to know that Henry was selling CDs of the amazing finale of the WKCR-FM Henry Grimes festival - the *full* hourlong solo bass performance, not just the 40 minutes that went out over the air. This CD is an absolute collectors item and features hand-drawn art by Henry. Each copy is different. When Henry's website is a little more operational, these may be available to a wider market. I listened to it on the way home from the gig. It's remarkable.

Mike

:o

Hi Mike,

Is there a partially operational Henry Grimes website of which we should be aware?

Mike sez:

Important to know that Henry was selling CDs of the amazing finale of the WKCR-FM Henry Grimes festival - the *full* hourlong solo bass performance, not just the 40 minutes that went out over the air.

Mike,

Can you provide more information on this? Was this a recent performance, or was this recorded in the 1960s? Who else took part in the festival?

Saint,

Thanks for the recommendation. I had a feeling I would get a response like that! :rolleyes:

Oh - sorry, I thought folks here knew.

This was a radio festival, not a live performance festival if that's what is confusing. But there certainly was music being played live that was involved. At the end of May 2003, WKCR-FM broadcast 5 straight days of only Henry Grimes - 103 hours non-stop. They played every record he made and then some! Henry, who had just made his NYC performing re-debut at the Vision Festival, was up at the studio every day for hours. Ben Young had him talking, listening and commenting on his records, etc. Other folks from Henry's past like Andrew Cyrille, Billy Taylor, Ray Mosca, Carmen Leggio, and more participated with interviews. Henry also performed several times in the studio: if I am remembering all of them - a couple times solo bass, the reunion of the trio from The Call (Perry Robinson & Tom Price), and with William Parker.

I was up at the studio for the last two days. It was a magical time. As things wound down, Ben asked Henry how he would like to end the festival - make a closing speech, play a certain record, whatever he wanted. Henry immediately said he wanted to play. About 40 minutes was allotted before the station would have to (finally) proceed on to other scheduled programming. Henry played and continued for about an hour. Only the first 40 minutes was heard by the public. Only the 10 or so of us at the studio heard everything. But now the recording of the *entire* performance has been put on CD and that's what is being sold.

Information on the recent recordings of HG are in the discography at my (new) website - see URL below. There will be more to add since some, if not all of the Iridium gigs were recorded.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chaney

For anyone wanting to order a copy of the Henry Grimes solo bass recording which Mike mentions above, here's an e-mail from Margaret Davis - shared with her permission:

Thanks for writing, Anthony. You can make out a check payable

to Henry Grimes for $2O (or more) and send it along with a stamped

self~addressed CD mailer envelope (you know, one of those padded

things of appropriate size) to me at 1573 York Ave., 2N, New York,

NY 1OO28~6OO7.

Warmest wishes,

Margaret Davis

Personal assistant to Henry Grimes,

and Editor & Publisher, "Art Attack!,"

the publication for & about

liberation musicians in NYC (& beyond),

on the Web at

<http://www.jazznewyork.org>

<musicmargaret@earthlink.net

Thanks for posting that - also, www.HenryGrimes.com is now more or less operational. There will continue to be some tinkering but it's good start, if I do say so myself.

Please stop by - sorry we have no complimentary beverages or tote bags at this point. But we do have some gigs for those of you in the LA area. With some new big names you might recognize like Bobby Bradford, Bennie Maupin, Joseph Jarman - plus some others familiar from the earlier LA gigs that Henry did.

Mike