2005-06 NHL - It's back

Evonce

Any hockey fans in the woodwork who are glad to see the pro game back on the ice? (I've read the earlier spring thread where everyone who didn't care about the cancelled season said so. No need to repeat yourselves. :))

I've been a fan for about four years now - repeated exposure to the Nashville Predators on the local FSN channel got me hooked, as did the many minor league games I've seen. I missed it this past season, but it just meant that I followed baseball that much closer, which ain't a bad deal.

Anyway, I'm thrilled to see Nashville shooting out of the gate with 7 straight wins. Not surprising to anyone who's seen their style of play, which fits some of the new rules. And snagging Paul Kariya was the best thing the team ever did. He fits right in with the core players. Can't wait to play Detroit.

Hockey has always been my favorite sport. When it comes to attending a game in person, it's easily the best of the four majors. It's no wonder the league plays to 90% capacity. Too bad the game translates so poorly on television.

Speaking of TV, I was more than a little disappointed when I returned from vacation a week ago and found that Dish Network had cancelled the Outdoor Life channel due to exhorbitant fees now being demanded by Comcast to carry it. So much for televised NHL games. And this, when my Red Wings are off to the best start in franchise history.

Up over and out.

Well, for anyone who lives in Southern Ontario hockey is definitely the main game in town. And of course, the Toronto Maple Leafs are the main story, pretty much 24/7, though they haven't won the Stanley Cup since 1967. Yes, I'm glad it's back, though I'm not keen on all the rule changes. When a player's stick makes any kind of contact now with another player, he's gone for a two-minute penalty. It used to be that there would be a battle for position between the forwards and defensemen in front of the net. And that was often good to watch, when it didn't degenerate into the dirty stuff. Now the forwards are pretty much allowed to stand around the front of the crease at will. The defensemen don't have a clue what to do anymore. And the goalies are too restricted in how they can play the puck. I like the two-line pass, though.

I agree with Dave James' point about hockey's place among the four major sports. I'll expand on it and say it is by far my favorite sport to watch with the sounded muted and jazz playing on the headphones.