Night Lights fund-drive program

ghost of miles

Hey all,

We're kicking off our annual fund-drive today, and Night Lights will be featuring music (some of it from our past shows) that we're also offering as thank-you gifts, including Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie's TOWN HALL 1945, Grant Green's MELLOW MADNESS, Thelonious Monk & John Coltrane's AT CARNEGIE HALL, Sonny Rollins' WITHOUT A SONG: THE 9/11 CONCERT, Lester Young's BLUE LESTER, Herbie Nichols Project's STRANGE CITY, and Chet Baker's and Jackie McLean's BEST OF ON PRESTIGE. Also our homeboard band Organissimo's THIS IS THE PLACE. Those are all offered at the $90 level, which I realize might be a bit steep for Internet listeners, but any show of support--$15, $25, $40, etc.--from Organissimo posters and others would not only be much appreciated, but would also be a source of great personal joy to me. (Truly! :excited: ) Here are the time zone broadcast times:

Pacific Time Zone: 8:05-9:05 p.m.

Mountain Time Zone: 9:05-10:05 p.m.

Central Time Zone: 10:05-11:05 p.m.

Eastern Time Zone: 11:05 p.m. -12:05 a.m.

London: 4:05-5:05 a.m. (Sunday)

Paris: 5:05-6:05 a.m. (Sunday)

Jerusalem: 6:05-7:05 a.m. (Sunday)

Tokyo: 9:05-10:05 p.m. (Sunday)

Listen live

Pledge online

Phone number: 1-800-662-3311

Upcoming shows:

Nov. 19, “Homecoming: Dexter Gordon in the Late 1970s.”

Nov. 26, “Moodsville II.” More music from the early-1960s Prestige ballads series.

Dec. 3, “Johnny Holiday.” The career of an unheralded singer.

Dec. 10, “Now Found: Henry Grimes.” The 1960s music and return of the legendary bassist, who vanished from the jazz world for more than 30 years. Includes an interview I conducted with Grimes at WFIU.

Dec. 17, “Not Afraid to Live: Frank Hewitt.” A program about the New York City pianist, last of the Monk/Powell/Elmo Hope line, who died in 2002 just before his first CD was released. Includes an interview with Luke Kaven, advocate for Hewitt and engineer on the three CDs of Hewitt’s that have been released so far.

Dec. 24, “The Night Before Christmas.” Christmas Eve music from Duke Pearson, Charlie Parker, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong (reading "The Night Before Christmas") and more.

Dec. 31, “Slim’s Jam: New Year’s Eve Party.” Live recordings from Slim Gaillard, Harry the Hipster Gibson, and others, including monologues from Ken Nordine, Lenny Bruce, and Lord Buckley.

And lots more planned for 2006, of course! :D Much thanks in advance for any level of support that any of you out there (you, in that far-flung international audience!) can offer. Much thanks, too, to Chuck Nessa and Jim Alfredson.

P.S. WNIN-Evansville will be airing "Moodsville 1" tonight at 10 p.m. and "The Wild One" next Saturday.

David Brent Johnson

WFIU 103.7 FM

Bloomington, IN

Edited by ghost of miles

Well, let me know if really, really late pledges count.  I've finally been able to listen to several of the programs in your archives -- Coffee, Juneteenth and the Subterreanians.  Great stuff!  I should contribute something.

Thanks much, ejp626. What I'm hoping to do--we're currently going gangbusters for fund-drive, and I haven't been able to plan it out with our webmaster--is to put up a little donation tab on the archives, similar to what Organissimo has here (and what we have on the WFIU website for Harmonia, the early-music program that we produce here). With luck, we'll have it up and running early next week.

Update: fund-drive is going so well that we will probably be ending early, sometime tomorrow night BEFORE Night Lights airs. My station manager has advised me that anyone wishing to pledge Night Lights should make a pledge tonight while I'm on the air for my show The Big Bands, and to simply say that the pledge is for Night Lights. Problematic, but happily so! I'll up the thread in five hours or so... and will probably re-run "The Wild One" tomorrow night on Night Lights instead of doing a live funder.