Bought a new unusual pet the other day

rose haired tarantula.

I've always been scared of spiders, but I was in the pet shop the other day and the lady lifted this tarantula from its cage and put it in her hand. She said it wouldn't bite and I allowed her to put it in my hand. I haven't fully overcome my nervousness, but I now have her crawl on my hand every couple days or so. I simply had to buy the pet. It's been a big hit with the neighborhood kids as they all come by to pick her up.

I feel like i've seen a new aspect of the world.

What a great pet! :wub::rlol

Edited by connoisseur series500

Actually, it's a "she." Males apparently don't survive as long and will starve themselves if they can't get the opportunity to mate. ( :g )

I throw a few crickets in there, but haven't seen her eat one yet. They go for weeks and months without eating.

The big event will occur when she molts. Then I'll have to take out that empty skin when she's done with it.

Am rapidly introducing her to the wonderful sounds of Roland Kirk's "We Free Kings," and Clifford Jordan, "Cliffcraft." I believe she feels these sounds are a significant upgrade over the sounds of gurgling water from the nearby fishtanks in the pet shop, but this is mere speculation on my part. :lol: She doesn't appear to be the dancing type, but prefers to strike a statuesque and stiff pose on her log in the tank. The general look of contentment, however, does indicate that she particularly likes the pungent trumpet work of Art Farmer on that Clifford Jordan session. ;)

Awesome choice connoisseur, I work with tarantulas, and take care of many, many of them, all different species. If you need any advice or have and questions ask away.  :)

Ah, a fellow arachnophile. Knew they would reveal themselves soon enough.

Don't know what to ask right now, but offer some tips here if you can.

I guess the main question for me and probably for everyone else is: are there any circumstances which will lead her to bite anyone? And if so, would it be painful or dangerous? I doubt the latter as I don't think they are poisonous. Also, wouldn't there be some kind of warning sign before she would do that?

Well a few important notes:

Feeding

You're right, they have a very slow metabolism, so feeding twice a week should be enough, 3-4 crickets. NEVER overfeed, if crickets are hanging around for a few days be sure to remove them. If the crickets get hungry they are going to attack the tarantula and can injure her, she will NOT defend herself from then if she's not immediately hungry.

Handling

Always let the tarantual come into your hand on her own accord, never pick her up from above, that's what predators do! Be calm, and avoid fast/sudden movements. When a tarantula is poised to bite, they will rear up on their back legs and display the fangs. that is a serious stance that means 'Back OFF!'. Yes the bite will hurt like a motherfuck, and they are technicly venomous, they inject venom through a small pore in the fangs. Fortunately, there is NO species of tarantula in the world that is fatal to humans. Spiders on the other hand can be deadly. If you have a allergic reaction to any form of insect bite, DO NOT handle the tarantula, she could be potentially dangerous.

Overall, all the Rose Hairs i've raised/sold have been very gentle and they like people.

Housing

Rose Hairs like a temperate climate, about 78-83 degrees air temp, and a mild humidity factor. they also like to burrow, so keep your substrate deep and she'll make a kickass nest. Tarantulas only use their web for housing or for mating, they don't catch stuff in it. Only spiders do that. Put a few visual barriers in the cage, like logs or caves and she'll be more comfortable coming out and seeing you. Be sure to use red/violet bulbs for heating, these give off an invisible spectrum and you can observe her evening habits without obtrusive white lights blaring on her all the time.

Moulting

Sometimes a slight bald spot will be present on the abdomen of the tarantula. Normally this is light colored, and when it begins to darken, she may be reading herself for a moult. Humidity is VERY important during this process, so be sure the substrate in the cage isn't too dry. DO NOT feed her during the moult process, she is defenseless. Avoid handling too, this is very important. A tarantula will never die on its back, so if she is flipped over she is moulting. Remove any crickets wandering aournd and leave her be. After the moult her new skeleton is very soft and prone to damage. Avoid handling/feeding for at least two days. the old skeleton is very soft at first, so remove it from the cage and pose it somewhere! it will harden and retain that pose!! Great for giving people heart attacks!!

Hope this helps! they are such kickass pets, I'm gonna get a Red Rump for my new place here in a few months! they're kinda fiesty!

Just ask if you need anything else.

*pardon any typographical errors, it's late and my board is cursed. :D

Very helpful, Use3D. Funny how these spiders grow on you. She's a beautiful creature.

How deep should the substrate be?

I'll take out those pesky surplus crickets.

I've never seen her adopt an aggressive stance.

What other species do you collect. And how do they compare as far as mildness and aggressiveness?

Hm lets see:

the Friendlies :wub:

Texan Brown

Rose Hair

Curly Hair

Pink Toe (one of the only species that can live together)

Stripe Knee

Zebra Knee (sometimes, very fast)

Goliath Bird Eater (you heard me, seen it with my own eyes)

the Don't Mess with mes :bwallace:

Cobalt Blue (beautiful but very angry)

Skeleton Knee

Usumbura

Indian Ornamental (some call this one a spider, not sure myself)

Red Rump

those are the few I can think of off the top of my head. I'll be back in the store Thursday and I can see if anymore cool species have come in!

O.O

a couple more note about handling, NEVER drop your tarantula! Heights are deadly and will kill her, if you handle her at all, do so over a bed or over her cage.

Your bedding should be at least 2 inches deep if not a little more. A 5 1/2 gallon aqarium or a 10 gallon would be the perfect size.

O.O

a couple more note about handling, NEVER drop your tarantula! Heights are deadly and will kill her, if you handle her at all, do so over a bed or over her cage.

One of the neighbor's kids got scared as Webster was crawling on her hand and she dropped her. I wasn't there at the time; otherwise, I might have strangled the little girl! :D But I was told by my son that she only fell about a foot and landed on thick carpet. Boy that was close! I have since banished that little girl from handling the spider. I mean if you're scared, why did you insist on holding the tarantula? :wacko:

I think Conn500 needs a new Avatar... ;)

Congrats!! My wife and I got our first pets (two cats) in February, and it's great having them!! My wife hadn't ever had a pet before, and it had been over 8 or 9 years since I last had a cat (when I was back in college).

Well-cared for animals are good for the soul. :):):):tup:tup:tup

conn, unless the site I took that image from is mistaken, that is a goliath bird-eating tarantula. The strange thing is I've seen that species before and it was (believe it or not) even larger and it was more of a blonde color (unless my memory is misbehaving). It is the largest known species.

Use3D, is there a school of thought that says that tarantulas aren't spiders? My references all say that they are. Just curious.

Edited by J Larsen

What kind is that, Use3D?

That is a Goliath Birdeater, they get big, even bigger than that one.

J Larsen said:

Use3D, is there a school of thought that says that tarantulas aren't spiders? My references all say that they are. Just curious.

They are not the same. They are both arachnids, and so are scorpions, which are clearly nothing like spiders or tarantulas.

Guest Chaney

Webster appears to be completely harmless.

Well of course Webster would be harmless.

Now, rename her FANG...

RoseHairedTarantula001.JPG

That's ONE scary creature!

My sister owns a veritable zoo. It's almost comical to see the iguana chasing the cat around the house!

Webster appears to be completely harmless.

Well of course Webster would be harmless.

Now, rename her FANG...

RoseHairedTarantula001.JPG

That's ONE scary creature!

My sister owns a veritable zoo. It's almost comical to see the iguana chasing the cat around the house!

Webster looks like this tarantula. This must be a rose-haired.