Andrew Hill on "Piano Jazz"

ghost of miles

Dave Brubeck was the guest on the only videotaped edition of Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz. My wife and I attended the taping in Columbia, South Carolina and I reviewed it for All Music Guide after they finally got a copy of the video to me. Supposedly a maximum of 60 were made, though I'm sure numerous folks taped it when it was broadcast around the country (but not on our local PBS station). Here's the link:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&t...10:shjgtq9zpu47

I can tell you that they had to redo "In Your Own Sweet Way" after the intermission, due to some unannounced technical problem.

I'm afraid that I reproduced the error in posting by the Piano Jazz site for the last track from the Andrew Hill program. I agree that the song is "Always" by Irving Berlin; I'm not even sure that Stevie Wonder has ever published a tune under the title "I'll Be Loving You Always," though I hardly claim to be an expert about his work.

• 1 year later...
Guest Bill Barton

Another hearty "thank you" for pulling up this thread and posting the link. When I was Music Director at WCFE-FM, Mountain-Lake Public Radio, in upstate NY my Saturday night show bookended Piano Jazz. It was always a treat to hear Marian McPartland interact with such a staggering variety of different stylists. The Andrew Hill show is one of my favorites.