Vinyl prices in 2005!

Alfred

2005 was not a good year for vinyl collector's wallets. I payed more for my LPs this year compared to the years before. More and more jazz listeners reactivating their turntables. Hopefully this is not only a short hype and we'll see more new vinyl releases next year.

Maybe our Vinyl Frontier corner will explode in 2006! :crazy:

Not just the vintage pressings...

I've regularly seen DMM's in the $15 - $20 range, 70's Blue Labels in the $25 range, and the Japanese releases approaching rarified air: Toshibas in the $40 - 50 range and Kings in the triple digits for rarer titles... usually Japanese only releases, but still!

The Classic Records reissues look even more attractive on pricing alone.

It's enough to shy away from BN's and start digging through other less "collectable" and more reasonably priced labels.

In 2004 and the first half of 2005 was really a blue note mania - french pressings, japan issues or the black and blue label: it just had to be the blue note logo on it.

but i think in the second half of 2005 there was a kind of overkill with blue note records.

at the moent only original pressings and in at least vg++ condition are getting really high prices, also the japnese pressings are still in demand althouhg not so much anymore than at the end of 2004 (at this time you (and myself) had to pay often more than 40 $ for a near mint pressing !

so blue note is really fine and has fantastic outputs, but only blue note is a little boring, cause there are so many other great labels on the vinyl frontier to discover and to enjoy ...

Edited by jbs-tom

I got some KILLER deals in 2005!

Sun Ra original on Transition-- FIVE BUCKS at PCC swap meet

Sun Ra original on Philly Jazz- $4.99 "Buy it Now" on ebay

Sonny Red Blue Note 4032 original deep groove MINT $20 "Buy it Now" on ebay

Kenny Dorham "Quiet Kenny" original New Jazz VG $30 "Buy it Now" on ebay

And those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.