Genius On the Black Side

ghost of miles

Got an e-mail from a friend today asking about this:

Do you know anything about "Genius on the Black Side" ? It was a radio show in the 70s. I just came across a bunch of them on LP. They're all 5-minute-long featurettes on black artists and entertainers like Coltrane, Bessie Smith, Ray Charles, etc.

Thought you might know something about it. They're pretty cool. I got 6 sides worth plus a promotional sampler pack that looks like it was mailed out to radio stations to convince program directors to carry the show.

Anybody ever hear these back in the day (or play them, if you're radio-biz folk?)

Got an e-mail from a friend today asking about this:

Do you know anything about "Genius on the Black Side" ? It was a radio show in the 70s. I just came across a bunch of them on LP. They're all 5-minute-long featurettes on black artists and entertainers like Coltrane, Bessie Smith, Ray Charles, etc.

Thought you might know something about it. They're pretty cool. I got 6 sides worth plus a promotional sampler pack that looks like it was mailed out to radio stations to convince program directors to carry the show.

Anybody ever hear these back in the day (or play them, if you're radio-biz folk?)

Ghost: I don't remember them and I don't think I'd play them.

A bit of web searching during lunch (needed a break) turns up a little information. It appears to be a 1975 program. There are references to 13 programs narrated by Ozzie Davis and to 13 programs narrated by James Earl Jones. Featured artists appear to include: Stevie Wonder, Isaac Hayes, Diana Ross, Paul Robeson, Barry White, Wilson Pickett, The O'Jay's, Donna Summer, and M. (presumably Michael) Jackson.