George Coleman in NYC

catesta

I love Anthony Wonsey; one of my favorites of the younger guys, but curious as to why Harold Mabern is not doing the gig? Mabern, Farnsworth, Webber and Coleman almost blew the roof off of Iridium when I heard them there about 3 years ago.

In any event, wish I could be there.

Marla

I saw the George Coleman Octet at Smoke maybe 5 years ago or so ... I think George said it was the first Octet gig since the 80s or so. Gary Smulyan was on bari, Rotondi on trumpet, and Ned Otter was music director (I think he was in charge of updating the charts or something ... seems to me he was deeply involved in organizing the gig). Mabern and Farnsworth were in the rhythm section, can't recall the bass player. Wait a sec ... does George have a son who plays a rhythm instrument? Somehow I am suddenly thinking that a younger Coleman played bass or drums. Ah, the memory is a wonderful thing, when it works.

Anyway, the memory that definitely comes through is that it was a great show, George and Harold sounded great and the younger cats were pretty good too. Also was the only time I've made it to Smoke, a great little place.

I love Anthony Wonsey; one of my favorites of the younger guys, but curious as to why Harold Mabern is not doing the gig? Mabern, Farnsworth, Webber and Coleman almost blew the roof off of Iridium when I heard them there about 3 years ago.

In any event, wish I could be there.

Marla

No complaints here about Wonsey, but I would have loved to see Mabern. He was playing at Smoke a week or two ago.

mabern is otherwise engaged this weekend. he's playing with eric alexander at kitano on park ave at 38th st.

Makes perfect sense to me, thanks! I heard Mabern with Alexander, Farnsworth, Webber about 2-3 years ago at Sculler's in Boston with the same effect - almost tore the roof off of the club - well, maybe blew out the windows because there are about 8-10 more floors above Sculler's!

Marla

mabern is otherwise engaged this weekend. he's playing with eric alexander at kitano on park ave at 38th st.

Just looked at that. I may have to force myself to go see two gigs this weekend or make a serious decision. :g

Kitano has a real strong lineup this month. The schedule includes Micheal Weiss on the 13th and 14th. :tup

Just looked at that. I may have to force myself to go see two gigs this weekend or make a serious decision. :g

Kitano has a real strong lineup this month. The schedule includes Micheal Weiss on the 13th and 14th. :tup

I've decided to go for the Coleman show at Smoke tonight.

It looks like I will be able to catch Mabern later this month.

So all is good. :tup