Linn Halliday

DukeCity

I remember Linn Halliday as a fixture at the Get Me High when I lived in Chicago for a few years in the '90s, but I never knew much about him, other than enjoying hearing him play. Swingin' and very straight ahead. Not much came up from a quick google search, but it appears that he died ca. 2004.

Does anyone here remember much about Linn? His background, etc? I heard stories about him being offered a gig with Miles, but never got much confirmation.

linn-halliday.jpg

I knew Lin a bit. He was a "nut case". He was his own worst enemy. Bob Koester was an angel for him and issued a bunch of cds. Bob will ultimately be responsible for any reputation Linn will have.

Linn claimed to have made a date for Riverside (aborted and never completed) with KD on trumpet. I've always wondered if this really happened and if any tapes survive.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Sorry for the repetition. I did an organissimo search with the two 'n' spelling of his first name, and that thread didn't come up.

But since we're up... any other recollections?

Yes. I have memories of a band (I think of them as the white losers band) with Lin, (sometimes) Bobby Roberts, Carl Leukaufe and Jack Noren.

Noren had a joyous way of outshining everyone.

He had many "caretakers" in Chicago. Green Mill owner Dave Jemilo let him live in an apartment above his other bar, the Deja Vu, for awhile (probably rent-free). I drove him to several gigs, sometimes gave him some bread (voluntarily, not solicited).

Although Lin was frequently a basketcase, when he would focus a bit he could tear off some mean choruses. A lot of Rollins (circa late 50s) in his playing.

I remember writing of a hesitant (to say the least) but I thought personal and moving Halliday performance at the Chicago Jazz Festival, perhaps as part of a jam session set. The next day, with the review in the paper, I ran across Dan Morgenstern, who had been there the night before and who said something along the lines of "So you play favorites and/or give people a pass, too." A weird moment, because I didn't think I'd done that at all, but maybe I had.

As possible confirmation, one way or the other, I also have positive memories of Carl Leukaufe's playing. And Jack Noren, on a good night, could be like a be-bop Baby Dodds.