for larry young fans...

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

looks like dustygroove has just stocked two of larry young's later albums "larry youngs fuel" and "spaceball" on CD (japanese import). i for one am excited-moreso for "spaceball" since i don't need tequila logan's vocals (she isn't bad, but like on tony williams "the old bums rush" just not what i need). larry young, in my opinion, had an interesting touch and sound on the non-organ keyboards he used which make these albums worth hearing. you can still tell he was a sort of kooky thinker and even though these albums were supposed to be commercial, i don't think they ever caught on. young's weird synth sounds probably had a lot to do with this.

a lot of players on "spaceball" i have never heard of so perhaps young was still doing his thing of grabbing young local players. i think "larry youngs fuel" had some bigger names like tony newton, who was awesome in lifetime (especially on "believe it" which is a top 10 fusion album) and of course ms. logan. i mean i wish "double exposure" was reissued instead of these two, but they are worth a listen though maybe not japanese import prices to you.

"spaceball" i think was one of those albums which was reissued on LP way before CD (which annoys me) so hopefully some good sun ra which has been reissued on LP can find its way to CD in the near future. though correct me if i am wrong, but do the japanese listeners not connect with sun ra? i just ask because come to think of it, i never really see sun ra reissues coming out of japan though i do see many other musicians i listen to and enjoy from all strata of the jazz universe. or is it just because so much sun ra is on dubious labels? i would think a japanese reissue label like p-vine could handle it anyway, though.

I've seen a number of Sun Ra Japanese reissues (one, on MPS, is one of the best sounding cds I have!) although we could hope for more. Admittedly, yes, it's labels that Japan likes to mine like Savoy and MPS that get the treatment, though there are some later live ones on other labels that have been reissued (though I have passed on them; I'm not that hot on Ra after the seventies).

I'm glad you like these Young dates. I've tried. . . I listen every now and then to the lp burns I have. . . but I just don't quite really enjoy these.

Edited by jazzbo

Guest akanalog

i like synths. and i like the way larry young plays synths so they are a good match for me.

like i said, i can do without the vocals...but i do like these albums. not as much as some of his earlier work...but that is apples and oranges.

I've got an original vinyl copy of the first one ("Fuel"), but find it almost unlistenable. For hip hop guys it supposedly is/was great stuff for breaks and sample hunting. But even I - and I'm a 70's rare groove / jazzfunk aficionado supreme - find it, well...lame. To each his own... :)

Guest akanalog

the young hendrix sessions are not as good as it should be, at least IMO.

too much bluesy jamming, not exploratory stuff-from what i remember.

this might be different stuff.

the young hendrix sessions are not as good as it should be, at least IMO.

too much bluesy jamming, not exploratory stuff-from what i remember.

this might be different stuff.

Yeh ....not my fav Young stuf I would say nor is the Spaceball/Fuel stuff

I have Lawrence of Newark and that is nearly the same...it is still in near mint condition...ie not played often! :blush:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest akanalog

shalome.

here is more larry young-related stuff....

dustygroove now has nathan davis' "happy girl" on CD as a japanese reissue.

this album has larry young exclusively on piano and it is from 1965.

woody shaw is on trumpet too.

not as progressive as one might expect, but pretty good.

Guest akanalog

yeah the only thing that pissed me off about love cry want is that i feel like the gallivan and nick guys aren't really giving young the credit he deserves. in the ugly packaging, young definitely seems to be placed second fiddle to the other two-i guess because they are still alive and were in charge of the reissue.