Presenting the Gerry Mulligan Sextet at iTunes Music Store

medjuck

There's a great Mulligan discography at the Libary of Congress site. (It's a 400 page PDF file!) I was perusing it and startied wishing that Mosaic or somebody would do a collection of his Mercury material. Then I checked out the iTunes Music store this morning and they had a new Verve Vaults which included "Presenting the Gerry Mulligan Sextet." I'm hoping that this is the first of many. BTW the Vault is fairly eclectic: there's even a Paul Bley record.

There's a great Mulligan discography at the Libary of Congress site. (It's a 400 page PDF file!) I was perusing it and startied wishing that Mosaic or somebody would do a collection of his Mercury material. Then I checked out the iTunes Music store this morning and they had a new Verve Vaults which included "Presenting the Gerry Mulligan Sextet." I'm hoping that this is the first of many. BTW the Vault is fairly eclectic: there's even a Paul Bley record.

I suspect that Verve has added the Gerry Mulligan after finding out that it is being released in Germany by Membran on the OLP (Original Long Players) label. There are a number of other interesting CDs being issued at the same time:

http://www.membran.net:8080/db_php_eng/index.php

I'm not sure how legitimate the re-issues are, but I have a couple on order.

PS The last time I tried to download something from the Verve vaults - Anita O'Day & The Three Sounds - I was told that it was not available for downloading outside the USA. So Verve don't make it easy to buy from them, do they!

I've just checked the Verve Vaults again and neither the Gerry Mulligan or Paul Bley CDs are available outside the USA. BTW the Paul Bley session was reissued recently on Fresh Sounds together with another trio session from 1952 on Debut with Charlie Mingus & Art Blakey. It is well recorded with good liner notes.

I realise that many of these reissues have dubious provenence & I would much rather buy the music direct from the owners of the copyright but with Verve making it impossible to buy from them, what am I supposed to do?

I've been tempted to grab some of the Verve Vault items but never go through with it. There's something about having the cover art, liner notes, etc... be it CD or LP. And at $10 per album for the most part, I'd rather pay the extra dough and wait for it to show up in the used or import bins.

I've dropped dimes on a number of the Verve Vault reissues.

For one thing those that I've bought just don't show up in the used bins. . . .

For another, most have been digital copies of Japanese cds that cost twice as much when I can find them. . . WHEN I can find them. The downloads sound very good to me on my system.

I can usually get all the information that I need and a cover image from the site and other sites and don't feel I'm missing much. (I hardly ever read liner notes any longer, which is funny when I consider how I used to pore over them!)

I don't blame you one bit and on a few titles, the Kenny Drew's in particular, I'm getting close to pulling the trigger.

I'm more willing to DL stuff from emusic w/o the notes & packaging, but it's 1/6 of the cost, usually ripped at a higher bitrate, and doesn't come with all the DRM limitations.

I travel a fair bit and get a chance to look in different cities and over time, stuff turns up. And yes, some of it is pricey and I pass. I also ask the guys at Euclid to look out for certain titles and hold them for me.

Example: Just came across the Verve Elite Lee Konitz 3CD set sealed for $18 over lunch. I was rationalizing why it might be worth $40 used (not to mention $80 sealed!) on Amazon and it falls into my lap the next day for half that.

They're not usually like that here either... but amazingly I found two of the iTunes titles and an Elite I've been searching for today at Euclid. All sealed, all reasonablely priced. :blush:

Kenny Drew and His Progressive Piano (Jap CD)

Bud Powell - Blues in the Closet (Jap CD)

Harry Edison - The Swinger / Mr. Swing (Elite)

Well, used cd bins aren't like that around here!