Jazz Show from Lansing: Vinyl Side of Midnight

Lazaro Vega

This is the playlist for this week’s Vinyl Side of Midnight, which can be heard on 89.7fm WLNZ in the Greater Lansing area, or you can tune in internationally on the web on www.wlnz.org - hosted by Mike Stratton, Sunday nights, 9- midnight, Eastern Standard Time.

Feel free to forward this to friends.

Contact Mike Stratton at dreamtrane@sbcglobal.net

For more information, visit www.mikestratton.com

1/22/06

Wynton Marsalis & Rodney Whitaker

This week I had the pleasure to interview Rodney Whitaker and Wynton Marsalis together (Wynton was on the phone and Rodney was in the studio). This week I’ll play the interview and music by both artists, in a number of formats. Wynton Marsalis has had a celebrated career, from being a side man with Art Blakey through a storied set of albums as band leader of Quartet, Quintet, Septet and Orchestra. He’s won Grammies and a Pulitzer and broke ground by rekindling the fire of straight ahead mainstream jazz.

Rodney Whitaker is one of the world’s finest bass players. He’s recorded with Roy Hargrove, Terrence Blanchard, Wynton, and numerous other fine musicians. He’s currently the head of MSU’s Jazz Program and plays with the band, The Professors of Jazz.

The Lincoln Center Orchestra will be playing this coming Wednesday at the MSU Auditorium. Get your tickets through the Wharton Center Box Office, or check out some free tickets I’ll be giving away on the show Sunday.