AOTW January 23 to January 29.

Maybe it's me but the sound from my euro Rare Grooves cd doesn't exactly leap out of the speakers so maybe I'm missing something here.

Liked the opening and closing tracks but I get the feeling there's some cruising going on. Cuber sounds fine but the grooves are a trifle coarse for my taste. Probably great on the night but like I say maybe I'm missing something here.

I don't think it's you; I get the same problem. The original LP was OK. From earlier comments, sounds as if the Japanese RVG is, too. Some investment needed to restore full enjoyment of the album.

MG

I think that MYH documents this type of organ jazz in a more purely "social" function than does Mazambique, which seems to have been performed in front of an audience with a little bit more "jazz saviness". Although, maybe not. Who knows what else the band played on that gig that didn't get recorded?

Nevertheless, comparing the two is apples and, if not exactly oranges, then pears. Different functionalities at play, and the music shifts accordingly. Both are prime examples of what they represent, imo.

I'd not go so far as to call Drives terrible, but I was underwhelmed on first hearing and remain so today. What's funny is that when I first started reading down beat (it was all lowercase then...), they were offering it as a premium for subscibing, quoting their 4.5, possibly even 5, star review of the side. I didn't get it (got Jimmy Heath's The Gap Sealer instead), but kept it in mind as something to look for. When I finally found somebody who had it, and I finally got to hear it, I was all like "BFD", ya' know?

I think that MYH documents this type of organ jazz in a more purely "social" function than does Mazambique, which seems to have been performed in front of an audience with a little bit more "jazz saviness". Although, maybe not. Who knows what else the band played on that gig that didn't get recorded?

Nevertheless, comparing the two is apples and, if not exactly oranges, then pears. Different functionalities at play, and the music shifts accordingly. Both are prime examples of what they represent, imo.

I'd not go so far as to call Drives terrible, but I was underwhelmed on first hearing and remain so today. What's funny is that when I first started reading down beat (it was all lowercase then...), they were offering it as a premium for subscibing, quoting their 4.5, possibly even 5, star review of the side. I didn't get it (got Jimmy Heath's The Gap Sealer instead), but kept it in mind as something to look for. When I finally found somebody who had it, and I finally got to hear it, I was all like "BFD", ya' know?

Yes, I do get the feeling that, if a chef had come in Club Harlem's room with a big birthday cake for a party in front of the stand, Lonnie and the band would immediately have swung into "Happy Birthday" without losing a beat. I have the same feeling about Jimmy Smith's "The boss" where it's clear that the band was hired to accompany the partying. There's much more of a concentration on dance grooves on "Club Mozambique", but that wasn't necessarily typical of that venue.

Houston Person's "Real thing", done three years later, was very much a jam session, with all sorts of people sitting in. I think those are the only two albums recorded at Watts' Club Mozambique that have ever been released. (Grant Green did a session there in 1971 with Houston Person on sax but it seems all to have been rejected. Houston told a friend of mine that he thought the music was good, so maybe something went wrong with the sound. I'd love to hear it, though.) But, from those two albums, it's rather difficult to tell what kind of venue the club was. I've always assumed it was a straight organ room, in no way different from any in any other city at that time. If that's right, Lonnie and the band played that way because they wanted to.

MG

The idea of trying to compare all these Lonnie dates is pretty useless. All these dates define what good organ jazz is about imho. We all have our own favorites. I think 99% of all jazz organists who ever lived wish they could produce one LP as good as "Drives." Psychedelic Pie is pretty crazy and unique and isn't that what it's all about in the end. Not to mention 25 Miles is one of Lonnie's funkiest efforts, it's pure Lonnie all the way...what's bad about that?

Anyway, yeah...Alligator Bogaloo put Lonnie on the map, but "Move Your Hand" put him on the national map as a solo artist. It was a huge album, although "Think" started the ball rolling no doubt. I mean, even blues bands down here were covering "Move Your Hand" at the time.

...as a side note saw Freddie King and Gatemouth covering "Funky Mama" on THE BEAT t.v. show DVD from the sixties. Badass stuff if you can find it. Also Louis Jordan with Chris Columbo on drums and an organ trio burning it up ala 1966 right there in Dallas, Texas.

...as a side note saw Freddie King and Gatemouth covering "Funky Mama" on THE BEAT t.v. show DVD from the sixties. Badass stuff if you can find it. Also Louis Jordan with Chris Columbo on drums and an organ trio burning it up ala 1966 right there in Dallas, Texas.

WHOA!!!

Details, please!

WHOA!!!

Details, please!

Yes, this is on the DVD THE BEAT Vol. 4. It's an expensive DVD compiling by Bear Family of many of the shows (maybe all) of the T.V. show THE BEAT, which was broadcast out of Dallas in the mid sixties. Shows include a lot of great stars and the backup band is headed each time by Gatemouth Brown! Freddie's on a lot of the shows and others include Sam & Dave, Otis Redding, Joe Simon, Patty LaBelle, Frogman Henry, ect... a who's who of sixties blues and R&B.

The best part is local redneck D.J. Hoss Allen who's a hoot and actually is too drunk to announce one of the shows so Otis Redding steps in to M.C....

We have this series for rent here at Waterloo Video (also for sale there) here in Austin. That said, don't think Blockbuster's gonna have this one.

WHOA!!!

Details, please!

Yes, this is on the DVD THE BEAT Vol. 4. It's an expensive DVD compiling by Bear Family of many of the shows (maybe all) of the T.V. show THE BEAT, which was broadcast out of Dallas in the mid sixties. Shows include a lot of great stars and the backup band is headed each time by Gatemouth Brown! Freddie's on a lot of the shows and others include Sam & Dave, Otis Redding, Joe Simon, Patty LaBelle, Frogman Henry, ect... a who's who of sixties blues and R&B.

The best part is local redneck D.J. Hoss Allen who's a hoot and actually is too drunk to announce one of the shows so Otis Redding steps in to M.C....

We have this series for rent here at Waterloo Video (also for sale there) here in Austin. That said, don't think Blockbuster's gonna have this one.

Is this the DVD?

B0009DC01K.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

(I note to my dismay that it won't play over in Britain.)

MG

WHOA!!!

Details, please!

Is this the DVD?

MG

yes, that's it... I think there's 6 volumes so far. each has 4 shows on it i believe.

WHOA!!!

Details, please!

Is this the DVD?

MG

yes, that's it... I think there's 6 volumes so far. each has 4 shows on it i believe.

Thanks, Soul Station. Now, how to get something that lets me play US DVDs is another bunch of technology I've got to get to grips with. At my age, there are diminishing returns from technology...

MG

WHOA!!!

Details, please!

Is this the DVD?

MG

Thanks, Soul Station. Now, how to get something that lets me play US DVDs is another bunch of technology I've got to get to grips with. At my age, there are diminishing returns from technology...

MG

I'm a tech idiot, but I think Bear Family is out of Germany...although I don't know anything beyond that.

WHOA!!!

Details, please!

Is this the DVD?

MG

MG

I'm a tech idiot, but I think Bear Family is out of Germany...although I don't know anything beyond that.

Thanks for that tip; I see Amazon Germany are flogging it.

MG