Eddie Diehl with Hank Jones

fasstrack

A good excuse to bring the Hank Mobley 'Thinking of Home' LP out. I like Eddie's playing on this album and it's good to hear that he's still very much musically active. I wonder what the circumstances were which resulted in him recording with Mobley for this one-off?

Several years ago, Eddie told me that the band on that album was working with Hank Mobley and was set to record the album. Frank Wolff wanted to replace Eddie with Kenny Burrell, but Hank insisted that Eddie play on the date. Eddie called Hank a "true friend" who was willing to stand up for him.

A good excuse to bring the Hank Mobley 'Thinking of Home' LP out. I like Eddie's playing on this album and it's good to hear that he's still very much musically active. I wonder what the circumstances were which resulted in him recording with Mobley for this one-off?

I have this on CD.

Several years ago, Eddie told me that the band on that album was working with Hank Mobley and was set to record the album. Frank Wolff wanted to replace Eddie with Kenny Burrell, but Hank insisted that Eddie play on the date. Eddie called Hank a "true friend" who was willing to stand up for him.

"Thinking of home" is my favourite Mobley. Thanks for posting that story. Hank didn't have it easy and it says much for his character that he stood up for Eddie.

MG