Wolfgang's Vault

Check this out. They even have some Miles!

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/Static.aspx?...io/RadioNav.htm

Bill Graham and his concert promotion company, Bill Graham Presents, produced more than 35,000 concerts all over the world. His first venue, the legendary Fillmore Auditorium, was home to many of rock's greatest performers - Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, The Doors, The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Prince - and the list goes on and on.

Graham taped thousands of live performances and stored the tapes in the basement of the BGP headquarters.

These tapes and the concerts they captured lay dormant until the Bill Graham archive was acquired by Wolfgang's Vault (Bill Graham's given first name was Wolfgang) in 2003.

Vault Radio is now playing selected tracks from these concerts in an FM-quality, 128K digital radio stream. Songs will be added to and removed from the radio show on a regular basis. We will be broadcasting unaltered live performance music from many of the greatest bands of the last 40 years. The music you hear on Vault Radio has not been sweetened or polished. You'll be listening to what the band played that night - nothing more, nothing less.

Seems to me if these recordings are of high enough quality, they would have the potential to make Dick's Picks look like child's play. Don't get me wrong...I love the DP series, but just thinking about what lies behind the door of this vault is mind boggling. My Lordy me. Any talk of commercial releases?

I've also heard that Santana has recorded thousands of hours of his live shows. How 'bout some CP's there my good man?

Up over and out.

• 9 months later...

From Wolfgang's post dated Nov. 1, 2006.....

In the next 60 days we will add new functionality to the Concert Vault. For example, listeners will soon be able to create and share their own playlists from our live performances. In the next 90 to 120 days we intend to offer full-concert downloads and, in 180 days we will present never-before-seen live performance video from the thousands of concert videos we have in our archive.

AMEN!!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080604/music_nm/rare_dc_3

Rare Marley and Hendrix performances sold online

By Ray Waddell

Wed Jun 4, 9:08 AM ET

Vintage concert performances by such acts as Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bob Marley and Jimi Hendrix will soon join the nearly 500 recordings already available for download purchase at the music and memorabilia site Wolfgang's Vault.

The additions were made possible through a deal between Universal Music Group (UMG) and Wolfgang's Vault founder Bill Sagan. The recordings include live performances by UMG artists culled from thousands of concerts produced by late promoter Bill Graham, along with gems from other catalogs and archives dating back decades.

"This is a far-reaching agreement to make available what I would consider previously unreleased live performance recordings of Universal Music Group artists from the mid-'60s on through today," Sagan told Billboard.com. "It covers hundreds of UMG performers and thousands of live performance concerts."

Sagan launched the Web site in 2003 after acquiring Graham's cache of memorabilia and concert recordings for $5 million. The downloadable content deal is for 10 years, with a streaming deal stretching "into perpetuity," Sagan said.

If the concert is longer than 30 minutes, a full download is priced at $9.98, with concerts of less than 30 minutes at $5.98. Some one- or two-song performances cost $3.98. The site will continue to offer free streaming.

"Of the 1,434 concerts that are up on the site, 488 can be downloaded right now," said Sagan. "And some very major artists will be downloading within the next 30 to 60 days."

Eventually the product will be offered as CDs and vinyl under Universal's direction. "There will be physical product," Sagan said.

A quick run through the site shows vintage performances for sale by artists including the Alarm, Fleetwood Mac, the Kinks, Billy Joel, Iggy Pop, James Taylor, Linda Ronstadt, Lou Reed, Mott the Hoople, Poco, Steve Miller, the Tubes, Uriah Heep, Warren Zevon and many others. (http://www.wolfgangsvault.com)

Reuters/Billboard

• 1 year later...

I've been "in the Vault" for several years and I've downloaded a few concerts along the way, but I've often wondered how they decide which shows would be made available. The fact that they've lifted the lid entirely is really good news, not wallet-wise, but musically. Anyone who hasn't had a look at what they have available, a list to which they are adding all the time, needs to go in and poke around. It's quite remarkable.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

• 1 month later...