"Black Vocal Harmony Groups of the 1930s and 40s"

ghost of miles

ravens8.jpg

This week on Night Lights it’s “Black Vocal Harmony Groups of the 1930s and 1940s.” The highly successful Mills Brothers inspired a large number of African-American singing ensembles in the decades of the Great Depression and the Second World War. Using only their voices and sometimes sparse instrumentation (guitars or tipples, which were a 10-stringed kind of ukulele), these groups combined jazz, pop, and gospel to produce recordings and styles that anticipated the rise of R & B, rock ‘n roll, and doo-wop in the 1950s. We’ll hear the Spirits of Rhythm (featuring legendary hipster and scatter Leo Watson), the Golden Gate Quartet (who helped pioneer the “jubilee” gospel sound), the Four Vagabonds (an important transitional group between the jazz-jive vocal groups of the late 1930s and the black R & B groups of the 1950s), Cats and the Fiddle, the Ravens (their 1947 recording of “Ol’ Man River,” which included a bass vocal lead by Jimmy Ricks that served as a harbinger of the doo-wop movement to come), and more. “Black Vocal Harmony Groups of the 1930s and 1940s” airs Saturday, February 25 at 11:05 p.m. on WFIU. It will be archived by Tuesday morning. For more information about black vocal harmony groups of the 1930s and 1940s, visit the Primarily A Cappella website.

Next week on Night Lights: "Ghosts of Yesterday: Billie Holiday and the Two Irenes (a Jazz Mystery)."

Edited by ghost of miles

Any chance you'll be playing "My Walking Stick" by the Golden Gates? - one of my favorites.

Unfortunately, I don't have that track--I have the Bluebird CD of the GGQ, plus a couple of gospel compilations in which they figure prominently, but no "My Walking Stick." Was that one of their Columbia recordings? Sony/Legacy doesn't seem to have done much with the GGC's catalogue. I wanted to play "Stalin Wasn't Stallin'," but I'm saving that for a WWII show at some point.

The only frustrating thing about this show was how much I had to leave OUT (didn't get to the Charioteers at all, for instance). I'll probably do a sequel sometime in the next 12 months.

Any chance you'll be playing "My Walking Stick" by the Golden Gates? - one of my favorites.

Unfortunately, I don't have that track--I have the Bluebird CD of the GGQ, plus a couple of gospel compilations in which they figure prominently, but no "My Walking Stick." Was that one of their Columbia recordings? Sony/Legacy doesn't seem to have done much with the GGC's catalogue. I wanted to play "Stalin Wasn't Stallin'," but I'm saving that for a WWII show at some point.

The only frustrating thing about this show was how much I had to leave OUT (didn't get to the Charioteers at all, for instance). I'll probably do a sequel sometime in the next 12 months.

"My Walking Stick" is track 25 on the 1992 Bluebird CD. If that's the one you have, give a listen. I think you'll enjoy it. I first heard that tune on a Clanka Lanka anthology entitled The Human Orchestra, and it's been a favorite since then. Looking forward to listening to the show.

"My Walking Stick" is track 25 on the 1992 Bluebird CD. If that's the one you have, give a listen. I think you'll enjoy it. I first heard that tune on a Clanka Lanka anthology entitled The Human Orchestra, and it's been a favorite since then. Looking forward to listening to the show.

TRAVLIN' SHOES? That's the one I have... how did I miss it? :( Maybe for the sequel show, then!

I'm working out a schedule with our webmaster to make sure that he gets these archived on time... will post again when the show's available online (HOPEFULLY tomorrow).

• 4 years later...