the iridium, new york city

My wife and I will be in New York City at the end of May. We would like to hear Bud Shank, who will be at the Iridium at that time. I have never been to the Iridium and don't know what to expect. However, I have read several reviews and none make me comfortable about going there. They speak primarily of the rude treatment by the staff; admission based not on whether or not you have tickets (which I would get in advance) but rather on what you tip the person at the door and poor service. I have not seen Bud Shank in person since the mid fifties at Birdland with the Kenton band but he is a favorite. Are the reviews correct or out of date? Is is worth going there? Or should I find where the Mingus Big Band is playing on Saturday May 27 or Sunday May 28. (As an aside, I have corresponded with Linda Shank about meeting them during this performance but do not want to ask for any special treatment.)

Please respond here or to bjadlos@nc.rr.com.

I don't like the Iridium. Wait staff ferries food and drinks during the shows, which is very distructing, so is listening to your neighbors crunching iceberg lettuce in your ear; You will NOT get a good seat if you don't order dinner even if you arrive at the door a day before the show. If you do decide to splurge for the dinner for 2 and a bottle of wine, don't be surprised to receive a bill for $200 [including the entertainment charge].

I like the Iridium. I don't like it as much as the Village Vanguard or Jazz Standard, but it's a fine club, and I wouldn't hesitate to go there. Don't be discouraged, I've seen alot of excellent music there. Last October, I saw Charles Tolliver and Billy Harper there together, and the Mingus Big Band. You will probably get a better seat and the house is unlikely to be turned after the first set if you go on Wednesday, Thursday or Sunday.

Edited by kh1958

The only time I've not gotten a good seat there (and I do not eat dinner there) is on a Friday or Saturday. Also, the waitress I usually have is very friendly and remembers me, even though it can be months between visits to New York for me. It is an expensive club (comparable to Birdland and the Blue Note). I like it a bit better than Birdland and definitely more than the Blue Note.

The Mingus Big Band only plays Tuesday nights, by the way.

Edited by kh1958

Agree with Guy - no personality to the place, but no problems there either. The place was pretty dead the night I went to hear George Coleman with Harold Mabern, John Webber and Joe Farnsworth, but the music was great. Employees at Iridium were nice enough.

My 2 fave places in NYC are the Vanguard (for its history, though Lorraine Gordon is hard to take sometimes) and the Jazz Standard. Nice vibe at both places. Despite Lorraine's less-than-friendly personality, I'd give her a tip of the hat for keeping the Vanguard alive and cookin'!!!

Marla

Edited by makpjazz57