Who has a dish?

Guest GregM

Guest GregM

I had a dish installed yesterday and am all hooked up for DirecTV. It seemed like a better choice than cable, which has a poor reputation in my area for spotty service and poor customer support. Those of you using DirecTV, have you been happy with it? How long have you been using it? Are there problems with bad weather?

I don't have a dish, but would love to here what others have to say about 'em! I am tired of "digital" channels above 100, but not below with our cable, so if you tape anything off of TCM, it looks like crap! :angry:

And I am really tired of Comcast cable ads telling us how crappy dishes are, showing dopes trying to install systems by themselves, when every dish company has a free installation program! :angry::angry:

Greg, I don't recall, but does DirecTV offer the TIVO like device,(And did you get it) or is that the other company...the name of which has escaped from my brain...late, must get sleep! :winky::winky:

We use a Dish Network setup with a built-in DVR (digital video recorder-"TIVO"). We've been very happy with it. The only time we've had problems with reception was during extremely windy rainstorms; I think it was our huge pines swaying in the backyard that caused problems with the dish's sightline. I hope you got the one with the DVR. You'll love it!

Tons of programming choices too. And the commercial-free music channels are really good too. The traditional jazz channel plays a real diverse mix of tunes.

Enjoy!

Guest GregM

Thanks, that's good to know. I don't think there's anything in the line of sight of the dish to get in the way where they installed it on my eve, even in windstorms, but I'll find out this winter, if not sooner. I didn't opt for the digital recording package or any other frills but eventually I will upgrade to the HDTV package. I just want to wait for the majority of networks to start broadcasting in HD and prices and features to improve on HD receivers.

Yeah, Berigan, those comcast commercials are pretty ridiculous considering that customer service is abysmal with that company.

I just moved and was planning to get DirectTV. However, the previous homeowner told me that the guy behind me who has it is constantly on his roof adjusting the dishes. I opted for cable instead, at least for now.

I've been in the house for a little over a week and sure enough, I've seen the guy behind me up on his roof fiddling with the thing at least three times. I also have a huge tree in front of my property that apparently would be in the direct sight line for the satellite (southwest). I'm wondering if I could get someone from DirectTV or The Dish Network to access the situation before they mount any hardware.

Guest GregM

Had the dish for a week now and I'm happy overall. There are some digital artifacts I see on some stations, but I assume that's just what is being broadcast. It's not the best picture quality, but I haven't optimized the setup and connections. I don't think I will until I upgrade to HDTV.

I've only had the picture go whacky once, when a bomber was flying over my house (I live not too far from Moffet Field and ever since dubya took office there have been fighter jets, helicopter gunships and bombers patroling the skies and doing exercise runs here. When the bomber was going overhead I didn't lose the picture but it became blurry and diffuse. Once a week is ok.

The other complaint of course is the channel setup. It's in no intelligent order at all, except for my local channels which remain the same as with the antenna. I get CNN on 202 and the only reason I remember that is because it used to be my area code. It's too bad, because I don't even like the reporting on CNN. Now I have to learn what channels are what.

Overall, glad I went with the dish instead of cable.

We used to get those digital artifacts (pixelization) from our dish, but it has really improved a lot since then. Usually on really dark scenes. I think it also may have to do with the type of tv you use. We have a 41" Toshiba widescreen projection tv. Some friends who have the same system we do never had these image problems on their Sony Trinitron picture tube tv.

Hopefully Greg, you can customize a "favorite channels" guide within your Program Guide to list only the channels you enter into it.

Directv....

We moved into the "country" a few months ago and there is no cable where we are (our nearest neighbor is 4/10 mile away). We bought the two room setup with local stations: $39.99 + $4.99 for the second receiver, free installation and 1st 2 months free!

First thing I noticed was how clear the picture was- it's way superior to the analog cable signal. Plenty of channels to choose from, including Discovery Wings, SciFi, BBC America, National Geographic and a few others that I didn't get with my previous cable. Your remote can be programmed for "favorite channels" for 4 people- so each person in our home has their own setup- including my 3.5 year old- PBSKids, ToonDisney,- all the kids shows.

I lose the signal during heavy rain because the cloud cover and rain obscures the signal but that's few and far between.

I think it's great and I've been very pleased with it. :tup

Guest GregM

I think it's great, too. I really should program my receiver for "favorite channels". Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to do enough surfing to know what my favorites are. I haven't had any type of expanded TV service during the past 5 yrs. Just been using the antenna. Now I get at least 3 different PBS stations, for example. I have no clue which would be my favorite.

I have a Pioneer 503CMX 50" plasma screen. The artifacts are rare and don't really bother me. I have a feeling they'd go away with a higher quality connection and/or receiver.

I had Direct TV for about 5 years and quite liked it. I also had cable to get local stations. The last time I moved the guy Direct Tv sent to install the dish failed to turn up twice!! Meanwhile the cable guys came and offered me digital. (These guys seemed to know what they were doing for a change-- usually you get the 3 stooges). So I've now had the complete cable package for about a year. The image seems about the same, it's cheaper and you can get it for every tv set. (I hate to admit that we have about 5 in our house.) However they've yet to offer hi-def channels. I've got DSL so don't use the cable modem they offer quite cheaply. And -- believe it or not-- I've always found them helpful when I've had to phone them with problems. (Yes there are problems sometimes.)

Does Direct tv still use those stupid cards to prevent piracy?

It was a top ten day in my life when I threw the cable guys outta the house and flipped on DirectTV. Only drawback are weather interruptions, either heavy rain or snow. With cable, we would lose the signal for over 24 hours when a storm hit. That got old fast. Plus, did you ever try to speak to someone at the cable company? Nuff said.

It was a top ten day in my life when I threw the cable guys outta the house and flipped on DirectTV. Only drawback are weather interruptions, either heavy rain or snow. With cable, we would lose the signal for over 24 hours when a storm hit. That got old fast. Plus, did you ever try to speak to someone at the cable company? Nuff said.

yes- the Directv receivers have those credit card thingys in the back of them. I never mess with them and I think I'm the only one in my family who knows it's there.

I see alot of Dish network dishes around here in central VA- don't know much about them except they don't have the local channels.

Only complaint we have is that you don't get the local forecast on the 8s with the Weather Channel- but in the grand scheme of things it's doesn't warrant a blip!

I have Dish Network. You can get the local networks, if you pay a little more. It beats cable, which was going out. Haven't had many outages. I'd like to have the Weather Channel local and the YES Network, which has the Yankees (even though I'm not a Yankee fan). But I have no complaints. I got it mostly so I could get Fox Sports World, which has the English Premier League and the Bundesliga. Translated, that's the english and german soccer leagues for you uneducated sports fans.

Vajerzy-those are access cards, which DirectTV changes every few years. It's supposed to be a security thing. I just changed mine, not without some inconvenience since one of the new cards they sent me didn't work and I couldn't use that tv for a couple of days. On the other hand, at least these guys answer their phone, treat me courteously (unlike the cable jerks) and gave me a credit for lost viewing time.