"You Better Go Now: Jeri Southern" on Night Lights

MOA001_Jeri_SOUTHERN_P.JPG

This week on Night Lights it's "You Better Go Now: Jeri Southern." Pianist and torch-jazz singer Jeri Southern recorded half a dozen albums for Decca in the 1950s, scoring hits with songs such as "When I Fall in Love," "Joey," and "You Better Go Now." Her intimate, near-speaking approach to vocals won her a following, but shyness and increasing difficulty with public performances drove her to an early retirement at the age of 36 in 1961. We'll hear selections from her Decca LPs and singles, as well as her late-1950s albums for Capitol and Roulette. For more information about Southern, you can visit this website. "You Better Go Now" airs Saturday, March 11 at 11:05 Eastern p.m. on WFIU and at 9 p.m. Central Time on WNINev. The program will be posted to the Night Lights archives by the following Tuesday morning.

MOA001_Jeri_SOUTHERN_P.JPG

This week on Night Lights it's "You Better Go Now: Jeri Southern." Pianist and torch-jazz singer Jeri Southern recorded half a dozen albums for Decca in the 1950s, scoring hits with songs such as "When I Fall in Love," "Joey," and "You Better Go Now." Her intimate, near-speaking approach to vocals won her a following, but shyness and increasing difficulty with public performances drove her to an early retirement at the age of 36 in 1961. We'll hear selections from her Decca LPs and singles, as well as her late-1950s albums for Capitol and Roulette. For more information about Southern, you can visit this website. "You Better Go Now" airs Saturday, March 11 at 11:05 Eastern p.m. on WFIU and at 9 p.m. Central Time on WNINev. The program will be posted to the Night Lights archives by the following Tuesday morning.

Next up, Timi Yuro? :)

Thanks for posting about Jeri on the radio. I believe most, if not all of her work, has been reissued on CD,

except for a few singles.

It'd be great if there was a decent jazz station in my area who did programs of this nature.

• 4 weeks later...

"You Better Go Now" is now archived.

Coming up this week: "Queen of the Organ: Shirley Scott."

looking forward to hearing jeri. dry,dry,dry. lovely, lovely lovely. have a couple of her vinyls. hoping haunted heart (with weston) is part of the mix.

......a paul weston show? i LOVE his music.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

"You Better Go Now" is now archived.

Coming up this week: "Queen of the Organ: Shirley Scott."

looking forward to hearing jeri. dry,dry,dry. lovely, lovely lovely. have a couple of her vinyls. hoping haunted heart (with weston) is part of the mix.

......a paul weston show? i LOVE his music.

'jeri' was a knockout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!goes very well with my ayler, and brotzmann, LJCO, and threadgill.

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you liked that one too--hey, re: Jeri & "Haunted Heart," you sure you're not thinking of Jo Stafford, who had a hit with it, and who was married to Paul Weston? I don't think Jeri recorded it, though I don't have all of her albums/singles and can't be absolutely sure. I played a little bit of Jo & Paul on the "Even White Girls Get the Blues" show. Maybe I should do a Jonathan and Darlene Edwards show... :crazy:

Glad you liked that one too--hey, re: Jeri & "Haunted Heart," you sure you're not thinking of Jo Stafford, who had a hit with it, and who was married to Paul Weston? I don't think Jeri recorded it, though I don't have all of her albums/singles and can't be absolutely sure. I played a little bit of Jo & Paul on the "Even White Girls Get the Blues" show. Maybe I should do a Jonathan and Darlene Edwards show... :crazy:

jo, it was........

J&D would make a great show, with paul's light airy jazz. just try to include some of jo's jerry kern.

paul bley's lyrical avant would make an awesome show.

it's monday night. time for thad jones-mel lewis Jazz Orchestra!!!!!!!!!!