Larry Goldings

sal

Anyone get the new Larry Goldings disc? This is really a nice one. I've listened to it about three times now and it just gets better each time. It has a really diverse program of music. Larry plays alot of piano here and sounds great doing so, and he gets excellent support from Ben Allison and Matt Wilson. The fourth member of the quartet is a trumpet player named John Sneider, who I was unfamiliar with before this recording. He does a great job here. Almost every track here is strong. Madeline Peyroux even comes out singing on one track ("Hesitation Blues"). A fine gem of an album.

Ooops, my bad. Had a lag and double posted.

By that "kind of trumpet", I mean the straight tone and phrasing. It's cool and all that, it's just not what grabs me personally. But it works really well on the Abdullah Ibrahim cover, and that's the track that kept me from hitting the Stop button the first time through.

Ooops, my bad. Had a lag and double posted.

By that "kind of trumpet", I mean the straight tone and phrasing. It's cool and all that, it's just not what grabs me personally. But it works really well on the Abdullah Ibrahim cover, and that's the track that kept me from hitting the Stop button the first time through.

Gotcha. I haven't heard the album - just trying to get a sense, since I dig Allison and Wilson a lot.

Yeah, taht Ibrahim piece is called "The Wedding", and I know it's just a matter of time before it gets played on some soap opera or something and all the rich white chicks start saying "Oh my GAWD, that's SO romantic!" and finding out what it is and requesting it for their nuptials. the way that Goldings & Sneider play it almost guarantees that.

Which is not a bad thing. I'd love to play me some Abdullah Ibrahim at some rich white folks' weddings! :g:g:g

Anyone get the new Larry Goldings disc? This is really a nice one. I've listened to it about three times now and it just gets better each time. It has a really diverse program of music. Larry plays alot of piano here and sounds great doing so, and he gets excellent support from Ben Allison and Matt Wilson. The fourth member of the quartet is a trumpet player named John Sneider, who I was unfamiliar with before this recording. He does a great job here. Almost every track here is strong. Madeline Peyroux even comes out singing on one track ("Hesitation Blues"). A fine gem of an album.

Good description.

I like it too.