Woody Shaw Mosaic Set for $100

If it's the CDs in excellent condition, $100 truly is a great price. I paid $200 for mine on ebay. Advertised as "mint" ... turned out that was not exactly true. Mint is supposed to mean never opened, just like it came out of the factory.

That's a growing problem on ebay ... people exaggerating descriptions of condition.

If it's the CDs in excellent condition, $100 truly is a great price. I paid $200 for mine on ebay. Advertised as "mint" ... turned out that was not exactly true. Mint is supposed to mean never opened, just like it came out of the factory.

That's a growing problem on ebay ... people exaggerating descriptions of condition.

I called the store and they told me the discs were still sealed. $100 is a decent price. The set seems to go on ebay for $125 range.

I called the store and they told me the discs were still sealed. $100 is a decent price. The set seems to go on ebay for $125 range.

Sealed for a $100. Wow. Congratulations !

It's more like $160-$170 on ebay. I watch all of them.

I'm pretty sure a lot of these Mosaics get passed around. I track this stuff, serial numbers. People rip 'n' burn the CDs and sell the box right back on ebay. Kind of uncool. No respect, etc. But the prices are so high people must feel they have no alternative. With that Vee-Jay Lee/Wayne set going recently for $375 ( ! ) I can understand, not condone, but understand why this game goes on and on.

Sealed for a $100. Wow. Congratulations !

It's more like $160-$170 on ebay. I watch all of them.

I'm pretty sure a lot of these Mosaics get passed around. I track this stuff, serial numbers. People rip 'n' burn the CDs and sell the box right back on ebay. Kind of uncool. No respect, etc. But the prices are so high people must feel they have no alternative. With that Vee-Jay Lee/Wayne set going recently for $375 ( ! ) I can understand, not condone, but understand why this game goes on and on.

I checked "completed Items" on Mosaic on ebay and saw one WS set go for $125, while another went for I believe $76, because the box edges were slightly bashed. Those completed items have not timed out, but that's where I got my $125 figure. I do recall another one at that price a couple months ago.

All the same, I am very happy you shared the availability of this set as I had been targetting it for some time now. Thanks again.

BTW, How did you know it was there when your address is UK?

Edit: oops! it was not you who pointed it out (and who lives in England), it was Head Man; (whose avatar displays a pair of feet as opposed to a head.) I don't give a damn! He helped me out (even though he doesn't know the difference between head and feet!)

Edited by connoisseur series500

Frankly, conn, I'm a little surprised you didn't already have this one, what with all your obvious enthusiasm for Woody. ;)

I've loved Woody's work for years now, but I've never been a rabid fan of Mosaic sets. I had "Rosewood," and didn't know if I was missing much by not having the remainder of the Mosaic. Then I heard the set and was determined to buy one for myself. Now Head Man's notice came at an opportune time.

Now we need a Tony Monaco Mosaic. :P

I checked "completed Items" on Mosaic on ebay and saw one WS set go for $125, while another went for I believe $76, because the box edges were slightly bashed. Those completed items have not timed out, but that's where I got my $125 figure. I do recall another one at that price a couple months ago.

This gets back to my theory that these Mosaics are getting "passed around" on ebay.

The Woody set was going for $160-$170 about a year ago. That was when Woody III's website was first grabbing some eyeballs, and there were other reasons too why interest in WS seemed to be on the upside.

I've definitely seen some Mosaics with the same serial # come through ebay more than once. I'm just making an educated guess that when the prices start rising on a particular set maybe some people decide to rip 'n' burn and sell.

I'm noticing this same pattern now with the Andrew Hill set. In this case I believe it's due to the renewed interest in Hill generated by the "Time Lines" release ... and all the interviews.

Maybe just another of my whacky theories ...

You're wrong there. Mint doesn't mean never opened. It does mean like it came out of the factory but never opened (the cellophane still on the cds)? No way.

You're wrong there. Mint doesn't mean never opened. It does mean like it came out of the factory but never opened (the cellophane still on the cds)? No way.

Ha ha ha ! You're the one who sold it to me aren't you ?! No, just jivin' you man ! It's cool.

Ha ha ha ! You're the one who sold it to me aren't you ?! No, just jivin' you man ! It's cool.

:g:g

Didn't mean to come too uppity on that on :blush:

The set arrived today in great shape. I recommend that store to anyone in NY.

There are a couple of things that are different from my other Mosaic sets:

1. The box lid has an attachment to the rest of the box. In other words, you can't just entirely lift all four corners of the lid from the box. It is attached to the rest of the box on the lefthand side, just as the hardcover of a book is attached to the rest of the book.

2. The set is not numbered. It's got Steve Backer listed where the number is normally listed. Whose that? :g:ph34r: Works at Mosaic?

The set arrived today in great shape. I recommend that store to anyone in NY.

There are a couple of things that are different from my other Mosaic sets:

1. The box lid has an attachment to the rest of the box. In other words, you can't just entirely lift all four corners of the lid from the box. It is attached to the rest of the box on the lefthand side, just as the hardcover of a book is attached to the rest of the book.

2. The set is not numbered. It's got Steve Backer listed where the number is normally listed. Whose that? :g:ph34r: Works at Mosaic?

He's a record producer, Dude! Try Googling him. <_< (How many beers you had so far tonight? :P )

So Mosaic gives out sample copies to certain people, huh?

Wonder how many people are so favored for free copies...

Anyone else ever encounter anything similar w/ Mosaic?

You hit the goldmine man !

When I saw the original post I was about to scoop it up, but I figured since I'm out to spread the word on Wood why be greedy ?

Question is ... why did Steve Backer unload his copy ?

So Mosaic gives out sample copies to certain people, huh?

Wonder how many people are so favored for free copies...

Anyone else ever encounter anything similar w/ Mosaic?

You hit the goldmine man !

When I saw the original post I was about to scoop it up, but I figured since I'm out to spread the word on Wood why be greedy ?

Question is ... why did Steve Backer unload his copy ?

He never even opened the cds.

Why did you want to scoop up a second copy? Seems to me that one set is costly enough.

Connoisseur series500 said: "The box lid has an attachment to the rest of the box. In other words, you can't just entirely lift all four corners of the lid from the box. It is attached to the rest of the box on the lefthand side, just as the hardcover of a book is attached to the rest of the book."

I guess it's been too many years since I bought a Mosaic box - all 20 of my Mosaics have the lid attached to the box on the left side. When did they start selling them not attached???

Connoisseur series500 said: "The box lid has an attachment to the rest of the box. In other words, you can't just entirely lift all four corners of the lid from the box. It is attached to the rest of the box on the lefthand side, just as the hardcover of a book is attached to the rest of the book."

I guess it's been too many years since I bought a Mosaic box - all 20 of my Mosaics have the lid attached to the box on the left side. When did they start selling them not attached???

They must have stopped making them that way. The Turrentine, Byrd/Adams, G. Wilson/J. Crusaders box sets I have allow the top lid to come completely off.