Going to LA from 8/9 to 8/17

Anybody know what's happening in LA during that week?

What are some of the best places to eat?

What are the best jazz clubs?

Which sights should I not miss?

Should I pay greg a visit? - Greg, can you put me, my wife and our two dogs up for a few weeks? I promise not to use Sharon's name in vane. ;)

Are you record shopping?

Amoeba - 6400 Sunset Blvd.

Bruce Springsteen plays Aug 17 at Dodger Stadium.

Visit?

Going to the regular dumb stuff like Disney? Knotts Berry Farm? Universal City?

Santa Monica Pier?

Museums? Getty Center

Melrose St

Santa Monica Blvd (West Hollywood area) (gay area)

Drive down Hollywood Blvd (Chinese Gumm theater etc), start at Highland go east.

My pleasure.

Also, if you go to Amoeba there's another great record store nearby with a very savvy jazz section as well as a nice used bin.

Aron's Records

Dang it Mule! Keep sending them to Amoeba, keep Aron's on the down low! ;) jk

What about Rhino records? Are they still around? I haven't been to that end of town in a while...

My pleasure.

Also, if you go to Amoeba there's another great record store nearby with a very savvy jazz section as well as a nice used bin.

Aron's Records

Dang it Mule! Keep sending them to Amoeba, keep Aron's on the down low! ;) jk

What about Rhino records? Are they still around? I haven't been to that end of town in a while...

If you're referring to Rhino Records in Claremont, yes, they are definitely still around. That's where I grew up. Went back for a visit in February, and while the pricing wasn't as good as it used to be, I managed to pick up several OOP items sealed, like Conns and West Coast Classics, and then some XRCD's at reasonable prices. It's worth having a look, but it's a bit out of the way, especially for someone who's just in town to visit.

John, I don't know what you like to eat, but a couple places in LA that I love are:

Junior's, in Westwood, not far from UCLA. Great sandwiches, excellent bakery, and pretty reasonably priced.

Empress Pavilion, Chinatown. Probably the best Chinese food I've ever had in this country. All the employees and cooks are Chinese, as are most of the people in the restaurant (which can make ordering/getting what you want a bit difficult at times, if you don't speak Chinese). The food is very authentic, however, and that's always appreciated. Their dim sum is quite good, as are most of the other dishes I've tried there. Also pretty reasonably priced.

Have a good time! I just realized I'll be in town for a wedding at the same time...Hmmm...

Rhino is still there, except they moved a little south on Westwood. I was there yesterday. It's between Santa Monica Blvd. and Olympic.

If you go there, then go south on Westwood to Pico and go West. A little bit past the 405 is the Record Trader.

Jane Bunnett is good at the Jazz Bakery.

Also don't forget Rocco's

http://www.roccoinla.com/

Grand Performances is having some good shows for free downtown

http://www.grandperformances.org/

For some new music check out line space line

http://www.linespaceline.org

And free shows at the Santa Monica Pier on Thursdays, so that's a good day to go to the beach and all the fun stuff on the pier:

http://www.twilightdance.org/

And really you should get Mexican food, Thai food, and Vietnamese food while you are here. Can't do better at any of them elsewhere. Lots of Thai places in Hollywood. Vietnamese in Orange COunty, with some miscellaneous pho in downtown. Cheap. Mexican - try El Cholo for the full experience and the green corn tamales and margaritas; Guelagetza on 8th street near Normandie for moles, La Serenata de Garibaldi in East La or Santa Monica for everything.

If you're in Burbank you have to make a stop at Atomic Records on Magnolia. Vinyl and cds. Lots of jazz. Their jazz vinyl is like being in a museum...

And I second El Cholo for the green corn tamales and margaritas!!!

Oh, and go to Musso & Frank on Hollywood Blvd. for the best martinis in town. Totally old-school restaurant with cranky waiters who have worked there for 50 years. Drink where F. Scott Fitzgerald, William Faulkner, and Orson Welles once did. You'll also likely to see celebs. Last month when I was there Harrison Ford and Calista Flockhart came in for a cocktail...

Musso_Frank.jpg

The bar...

The_Bar_at_Musso___Franks.JPG

...the drink (note the sidecar)...

Martini_at_Mussos2.JPG

Weirdest celeb I ever saw there was Iron Eyes Cody...

Edited by The Mule

Thanks again all. I'm really looking forward to my vacation. Haven't taken a break for over a year!

Unfortubately it doesn't look like a whole lot is happening club wise when I'm there. Maybe I'll try and catch Cedar Walton. Anybody know who's in his band now?

Atomic Records is very nice. I work one block from it, which used to be problematic for the bank account, but I have learned restraint.

Second on Musso & Frank's. Then 1/2 block away is Miceli's, an old time Italian place which often has live jazz as the entertainment - usually solo piano or piano & singer, but I've caught a trio in there - horn, bass, drums.

Miceli's is actually on Las Palmas, just south of Hollywood Blvd. Musso & Frank is on the north side of Hollywood Blvd, 1/2 block east of Las Palmas. This is all two blocks east of the Hollywood & Highland train station, so you can take teh red line subway. And that is also next to the Chinese Theatre and across from the El Capitan. I recommend seeing a film in one of those two (but in the original Chinese, not in one of teh other 6 screens) if you haven't had any good "movie palace" experiences back home. "Pirate of the Caribbean" is at the El Cap.

I used to work about a mile from Atomic and it was a problem....

Now I'm across town and about a mile away from Rhino, which is not as much of a problem.

I live about a mile from Amoeba and Aron's which is a BIG problem....

Yes, a movie at the Chinese or El Capitan should definitely be on the list. Also, since we're in the neighborhood a nightcap at Boardner's on Cherokee is a must. This bar has been featured in dozens of movies and television shows including ED WOOD. It used to be a bit of dive and the old bartender, George, once acted in blaxploitation movies like CLEOPATRA JONES. In the past two years, however, it's gone a bit upscale and has lost some of its dumpy charm. George is gone now and the customers are a bit more yuppified than they used to be. Still worth going to for a quick drink, tho.