ebay question...

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

i ordered some CDs from ebay (via a "buy now" ebay store kind of place) and almost 2 weeks later the discs are not here. i emailed the guy (store) and he said he is awaiting a new shipment of the discs i ordered from him.

the way i understand it, ebay is kind of like amazon in the sense you are only supposed to sell what you have in stock (scumbags like caiman violating this consistently). so what this guy doing is kind of against what is supposed to happen. am i right? think i am entitled to a refund?

I would say you are. Two weeks is right at the cutoff point where I would personally want my money back.

Good luck with it. My wife is currently locked in a dispute with a seller who is basically a thief - no item and no refund for over two months now. Tons of excuses from the seller, who has been putting up plenty of other auctions in the meantime. Ebay has finally decided to get involved, but still, the seller's main concern is not getting negative feedback. Let's just say that was enough for me to use her email to sign her up for a few things...

I have dealt with this BS too.

Did the auction say anything in the fine print about CDs could take up to a month?

I ordered a ton of the Classics CDs from a seller on ebay and he had the disclaimer in the auction, so I had to wait a month to file something with PayPal. After the month, he claimed to PayPal that he had sent them, so I had to wait a additional month to prove he hadn't.

Who is the seller?

Tons of excuses from the seller, who has been putting up plenty of other auctions in the meantime.

I had a seller like this too. It drives you crazy because you know your stuff is just sitting there while they post more stuff. In my case, I was lucky because my CDs came, where some people were stiffed.

i ordered some CDs from ebay (via a "buy now" ebay store kind of place) and almost 2 weeks later the discs are not here. i emailed the guy (store) and he said he is awaiting a new shipment of the discs i ordered from him.

the way i understand it, ebay is kind of like amazon in the sense you are only supposed to sell what you have in stock (scumbags like caiman violating this consistently). so what this guy doing is kind of against what is supposed to happen. am i right? think i am entitled to a refund?

Feel free to disclose the seller. We are all here to share information like this. Many of us order from Ebay. I've got one seller holding me up a bit right now, but I still need to wait another week before I start getting on him.

Wow. Two weeks wouldn't freak me out actually. Although if I was the seller, I'd be embarrassed as hell. However, the seller is now listed as "no longer an ebay member", obviously your gut instinct was right!

I think his seller is someone other than Nerdz.

The funniest thing about my whole ordeal with Nerdz was that after 2 months of hassles they wouldn't even reply to any inquiries from paypal about the status of the order.

2 weeks wouldn't bother me either, but in this case I would be mad because of the statement that the CDs were on order.

Personally, I've never had a bad experience on eBay, but I do think that the weakest part of the their game is adjudicating disputes between buyers and sellers. They claim that they are just a broker who's role begins and ends with hooking up those who want to sell with those who want to buy. Still, I think they ought to take more seriously their role in seeing to it that transactions go smoothly. To do otherwise, strikes me as an abrogation of their authority. I mean, c'mon, when deals go South, who else is there to turn to? So, how do they go about getting more involved? With the kind of money they're making, is it too much to ask that they consider setting up a mediation department that's responsible for settling disputes? Barring this, at the very least, they could do a better job of policing deadbeat sellers who, as in akanalog's case, don't even have merchandise in stock that they imply is available. Those guys ought to be tossed.

Up over and out.

I agree completely. I remember a discussion about this subject on an ebay board a few years ago, and if I remember correctly (which is less likely as the years go by!), this practice is a violation of ebay rules, unless it is specifically stated in the auction that the merchandise is dropshipped or not in stock.

Guest akanalog

http://cgi.ebay.com/ELEMENTS-Michael-Cochr...1QQcmdZViewItem

just as a for instance-here is another listing by the seller for a different black saint/soul note album (one which i am interested in). i imagine the deal would be the same so you can get an idea what is up from this one. i see nothing in the text to make me think the disc is not actually available at this time. right?

i mean-it doesn't say "buy in two weeks". it says "buy now"!

CDHut... now that's interesting. While I said I'd never had a bad experience on eBay, as close as it's come is with this seller.

About six weeks ago I purchased two Archie Shepp CD's, "Blue Ballads" and "True Ballads", from CDHut under the eBay store buy it now option. About a week later, I got a package from them, but it contained just one Shepp CD called "True Blue Ballads". Although I wasn't sure what happened to the second CD, I gave this seller the benefit of the doubt, assuming that they'd somehow mixed up "True" with "Blue" and sent me "True Blue" instead. As it turned out, I liked "True Blue", so I kept it and wrote the seller about the mix-up, but I told him I still wanted to two CD's that I'd originally purchased. I did not hear back from him, so I sent him another e-mail. About a week later, I got "Blue Ballads". I told him I still wanted "True Ballads" but that I was going to keep the first CD they sent so I'd need to pay him for three CD's and not just two. Just a few days ago, he wrote to tell me "he'd just gotten back" (whatever that means) and that anything else I wanted could be purchased using the link provided in his note.

I don't plan to do business with this guy again. I don't think he has what he says he has. This is especially eggregious when one is selling under the buy it now option. To me, it's implicit in this type of transaction that the item you want is in stock and available for immediate delivery. With CDHut, I don't think that's the case.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Guest akanalog

http://jazzloft.com/

i think this is also the guy's store. i bought a CD via jazzloft and it did come quickly.

but yeah-you're "i just got back" thing is kind of like what he wrote to me which was something like "waiting for a new shipment from italy. should go out tommorow." which i'm sure isn't totally untrue-but i agree that if you post it under "buy now", then it should be availble NOW.

i did email him and ask for a refund. i wonder how quickly he will respond...

Interesting. I remember having a problem with Jazz Loft once quite a while ago - don't remember what it was, I think maybe an unconscionable delay in shipping (there's a surprise!). Then recently I found a Brew Moore Steeplechase CD on CDHut's ebay listing. It shipped very quickly so obviously the guy doesn't just list catalog but he actually does stock some items. No doubt though his listing could be a lot more clear.

BTW, that Cochrane CD is pretty nice.

BTW, that Cochrane CD is pretty nice.

I agree. I've been digging that one ever since someone...er, can't remember who :w ...was kind enough to send me a copy. In fact, I'm afraid I had to bite on this one in spite of the negative comments about the seller. I'm in no hurry; as long as it gets to me!

It's funny the seller is CDHUT.

I have been eyeing some titles this seller has up right now: 2 Marsh titles, 2 Misha Mengelberg titles, and a couple of Martial Solal titles. I emailed the seller with a question and received a response pretty quickly, but I still had a weird feeling.

Last week, at the Ray Davies concert, I asked a friend of mine if he had ordred from the seller. He told me he had done it a few times, but had problems with him not sending titles right away, sometimes sending the wrong CD, and not responding to emails.

Guest akanalog

then how the $$^$((%&( did the guy have a 99.7 satisfaction rating!?!?!?!

how the hell am i supposed to know he sucks if the only reviews are positive?

yeah i mean he emailed me back right away on saturday to say the CDs should be out on monday but then yesterday i emailed him asking for a refund as i felt mislead since the CDs were not actually in stock, and of course there has been no response.

i will plug greg walker and his synphonic rock service here i guess because i got 2 CDs from him and i did not realize the japanese poor house company import reissue CDs meant that the CDs were sketchy LP burns in sketchy packaging. and one of the burns was a bad burn to boot....

i emailed him and he offered me a refund or exchange as i saw fit and responded immediately.

the other poor house CD i bought does sound nice for a LP burn though...

Guest akanalog

jazzmouse, i would have picked up the cochrane from this guy except i didn't want to deal with this anymore.

i used to own it but was in an anti-tom harrell phase so i got rid of it. would like to own it again now....

here in new york i have found that you can find many bs/sn albums in stores again, but you still never see some-like the cochrane and the bobo shaw one...

I know what your saying, it's crazy!

IMHO, it's even harder to deal with because he stocks so many great titles.

Right now, it looks like I am in the same position as you, but with this seller named moviemarz. I ordered 6 CDs from him and he hasn't responded to any of my emails. He has a 98% feedback and I have had good luck with him in the past, but I have a bad feeling this time because most of the CDs were hard to find Solal CDs.

Guest akanalog

when i use amazon, if anyone has a rating below 98 percent i avoid them. this mostly means the caiman bastards....

i'm telling you though-i bought a cd through the other side of cdhut (jazzloft) and it was a soft head album on ogun-and it came quick. weird.

i bought a few things through a place called ejazzlines and it was hard to find stuff (including a richard davis muse CD which must have been out of print for quite a while-"now's the time") and the guy was extremely easy to email with and the discs came pretty quick (well, a ted curson futura disc was not in stock but he clearly told me he was waiting for more and then sent them ASAP-and this disc is hard to find just about anywhere). so i will plug this ejazzlines place as a nice place to do business with also.

this mostly means the caiman bastards....

This seller drives me nuts. Last year, I ordered a rare J.B. Lenoir CD from this guy, waited a month and half without seeing or hearing anything. I email him and he says that it is out of print and refunds my money. A month ago, I see he has tons of hard to find Classics CDs up for sale, so I email him and ask if they are in stock. He actually replied that they do not know what is in stock until people buy the CD!

Guest akanalog

caiman is more than one guy. it is a crappy company, i think.

it's just annoying because often on amazon i will search for a disc i want and will get back that it IS available from a seller and then i excitedly click to see who is selling it and it is almost always caiman, which means it is probably not really available.

caiman is more than one guy. it is a crappy company, i think.

it's just annoying because often on amazon i will search for a disc i want and will get back that it IS available from a seller and then i excitedly click to see who is selling it and it is almost always caiman, which means it is probably not really available.

Man, have you been reading my mail! :D

Seriously, I do the same thing.

the fact is, cd hut doesn't suck. i have purchased several titles from them and have been completely satsified. that being said, i think the situation you are experiencing is unfortunate. imo they should offer to cancel the transaction and let you know when the titles are back in stock should you wish to buy them later.