Jazz in New York 1940-50

hi,

is there any literature about Jazz from 1940-50 that focusses on NEW YORK CITY as well as on the music of that time? wanted to read the deveaux, but your posts kind of scared me away...should i read it anyway?

is there any literature about the connection city/jazz except "sozialgeschichte des jazz", in general? i found thousands of books about people but zero about places.

please help!!!

tx, jan

JAZZ MASTERS OF THE FORTIES and SWING TO BOP contain a fair amount of references to NYC, since so much was going down there... not quite exactly what you're looking for, though. Ann Douglas is working on a book about NYC in the 1950s that will cover jazz as well; hmmm, how many other near-misses can I come up with? :g I'd be fascinated to read such a book as well, and one may well exist that I'm overlooking.

thx!!

is "the deveaux" state of the art for bebop or are there other books to read? the german literature on this is.... poor *sniff*, there is almost nothing beyond joachim ernst berendt.

greetz

jan